What is the quickest way to get back your dignity?

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Inspire&Inquire, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

dignity is important for recovery I think and I want to get mine back.u

DrownedFishOnFire and Piexes like this.
  2. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

So, I have no tried and tested answer for this, but I sure need one myself.

I am thinking however: move if possible: fresh start, and can leave the "shame" in past with the old you. Or pretend to be someone else/a new you.
    I guess too be gentle with yourself and know that every single person alive and who has ever lived has made mistakes or suffered some embarrassment.

Have you come up with any suggestions?

Inspire&Inquire and IamTetsuo like this.
  3. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Say you're sorry and mean it. We all screw up, make mistakes etc etc, whatever it is, apologise for it and move on. Always works for me because its usually me who screwed things up.

Inspire&Inquire and IamTetsuo like this.
  4. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Accept yourself and the fact that you are not perfect. No one is. Try your best to see the positives in those moments (if there are any) and then move on. Like mentioned above, try a new you. Anyone can reinvent themselves at any time. Best of luck.

5. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

I found out how to do it. For me I was bullied, and after like 18 years after being bullied I finally contacted my bully and told him the hell he put me through. It seems crazy but it worked for me.

6. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think I got some dignity when I completed my promise to the third party without any revenge even though it nearly cost me taking my life in December 2014. I still suffer today with short term memory loss but I tried to help others to see that life is for living.

calvinandhobbs likes this.
  7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I just stopped caring about where I am and ingore people around me doing my own thing

8. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I guess it depends on the situation. If you've lost your dignity due to something out of your control, then you have to make efforts to respect yourself and live your own life honorably, live your life with pride. Make good choices, try to forgive whomever hurt you by letting go of the hold it has on you.

If you lost your dignity due to something you did to someone else, if they are still part of your life, make amends and keep your promises.

I feel as though I lost my dignity during the worst of my depression. There was nobody to make amends to but myself. I felt I couldn't do it at that time in my current situation so I chose a fresh start. I moved very far away from my home town, ended contact with everyone and hit the restart button. It really helped me.

AlexiMarie7 likes this.