What is there to say?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Xistence, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have trouble thinking of something to say to people that are in a bad situation? I never know how to respond to most of the threads on here and end up just clicking out of them.
  2. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

Yeah often I just don't even have the heart to wish people well. not that I don't want them to get better, but most of the time it just feels like a hopeless gesture.

still i also never can really say anything when i want to post. the number of times I've hit new post and then just never written anything.
  3. triggs

triggs Account Closed

sometimes it's hard to figure out what to say when you think it might be taken as fake or patronizing or something, but there are always little things you can pick up on in the threads that you can comment on or relate to so it's worth posting - especially as people here don't want to feel rejected or ignored - they need to know there's a reason to keep posting and still be here.
    finding words isn't everyone's forte but maybe just a :hug: or some kind words like "thinking of you", they often go a long way :smile:
    on the other hand, people won't think bad of you if you don't help.. the main thing here is trying to get yourself better really :hug:
    triggs xx
  4. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

Sometimes I have a hard time thinking of something to say because I know that words can't fix the pain people are going through. When I do respond, I try to offer a few kind words to let them know someone cares. At times I am feeling or going through the same things they have written about and since I have no words or advice that can make myself feel better, I just let them know they are not alone.
  5. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I usually don't respond to threads that often either unless it's something I'm familiar with, although I might read a bunch. I figure if I don't know how to respond, and other people already have, it would be in bad taste to patronize the poster by pretending I know how they feel.

That being said, I think most people just want to be heard. When I'm upset I could really care less if someone understands why I'm upset or what solutions they have for me, I can come up with solutions on my own when I'm not feeling so lousy. What I do care about is someone understanding that I'm going through hell, to see that I'm trying my best and letting me know that they're with me and my effort isn't meaningless.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

7. sweetpea0

sweetpea0 Well-Known Member

I don't what to say either, but I know how good it makes me feel when someone does say something.
  8. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

It often depends on my mood. If I'm alright, then I believe in the stuff I'm saying and if I'm not, I find it hard to post something positive as I don't really believe in it myself and it makes me feel like a hypocrite.

I froze up especially badly the other day when a friend's mother committed suicide and I spoke to her over the phone. I had absolutely NO idea what to say, and I still feel crappy about it. I just kept saying "you don't deserve this" over and over. Think I made it worse. :sad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.