what is true love?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by morning rush, Nov 11, 2010.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I mean really, what is true love to you? what does it mean?

a guy romancing you with flowers?
    someone to come home to every night and cuddle?

is it a romance like in the movies?

are we raising our expectation of true love too hight? too low?

is there such a thing as true love nowadays?

does it involve sex? no sex?

what is true love?

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

no!

not necessarily

absolutely not!

too low :tongue:

yes

sex is another form of expression. it's not necessary but i can't imagine calling someone 'my true love' and there not being sex? then again i'm sure people have platonic relationships full of love.

i can't put it in words. the word "true" implies sincerity, purity, authenticity. i think "true love" comes from a heart, or a place which is sincere, pure, honest.

3. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

Love that is, well.. true
    Being at ease with each others company, knowing everything about them and still love them.

4. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Its honesty and loyalty. Its equal, its forever and joyous. Its sharing and caring and holds no bounds. Its something I wish I could find. I've loved but not been loved back :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  5. Tealc

Tealc Banned Member

true love is when for no reason you think of that person and you feel a knot in your stomach

6. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

i don't believe in true love. but I do believe in love. anyone can be with anyone, as long as they are comfortable and have feelings for/with each other, thats how i believe the love system works, doesn't have to be true as long as you just love each other emotionally. if you ever saw the korean film, "TIME", that's pretty much as close to "true" love that i believe in.

7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

True love is something that you will just know.

8. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

When you're utterly, and entirely fooled into believing something that is so far from truth, you cant help but laugh and cry about it when you come back to reality.

9. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

who really knows?

im sure everytbody has their own definations of it and im sure most could quite possible be wrong.

may be i dont know but i think its probablt best not to think about it too much.

10. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

"True Love?"
    I believe that is a term coined by Disney -- marketed to children as the 'end all- be all' of adulthood. :bubble:
    lol

11. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Personally I think that in real life there is no such thing as true love.

12. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

It's loving someone, and knowing you'll love them no matter what they do or say to you, even if they hate you, and knowing that if it ever became necessary you would die to protect them. I think, anyway lol, but only because someone told me that ;o)

13. victor

victor Account Closed

i think i know what true love is. i dont think, actually - i know:) her name is Amina (well, for me:) ). its unconditional. its when u accept the person with all their minuses and bad sides and love them the way they r, and for what they r, and dont want to change anything about them. its when u rather give than take. when u give without expecting anything back. when it hurts to be apart (and excuse me my french but fuck me! it does hurt sooooo much:(:( ) its when u r tired and u stil wanna clean the house to make them smile. its when being faithul is not the topic worth of discusing coz its obvious and natural with no ifs nor buts. its when u just cant get enough. and it makes u a better person. i do believe theres that special one for each of us somewhere out there, unfortunatelly the life is cruel and unfair:( so if u get a half of the chance, just grab it, and never give up. coz i do believe its the most important goal in everyones life to find that ONE and make them happy. thats what true love is for me. and thats why im in such a trouble now lol:)

14. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

true love to me....waking up every morning and making the choice you feel is right, to stay with them and to be able to see their flaws and love them all the more for them.

Although i tried all the romance stuff but it never got me far, i painted i love you in very large writing on the road on her way to work (she slapped me), i stole a car to drive her to the coast so we could watch the sun rise then went to the other coast to watch it set later that day (again she slapped me on the way home), ran her a big bubble bath with all the petals and scented shit for her (ended in an argument....again slap time lol) i sent her massive bouquets of flowers (again, argument about her not liking flowers) ....some things i thought were nice but i suppose some people just find annoying like dragging them out of bed at 3am, tugging at them to follow you for miles, then got her to the middle of a field, threw a blankee down and she looked confused so i told her to look up cos there was a meteor shower.....guess what benny boy got, yup one the the slaps again.....
    for all that and much much more i have sort of given up on the whole romance thing.

there is nothing better than cuddling up to the one you love everynight the trouble i had was with me working away from home sometimes for well over a month at a time you do miss it, and whether its one month in or 5 years into a relationship that time together should happen as much as possible!

i cant speak for other peoples expectations of love, all i want is the person i love to be there and to give me a kiss and cuddle even when i come home covered in shit, for the person i love to say "i love you" when i set off out hunting or when im off to work for a bit and to ask how my day was even if they couldnt care less about my day lol.

true love will always exist, its simply a biological mechanism and although many people dont have the etiquette or brains that they used to, even a blind chicken will find a crumb sooner or later.

As for sex its very simple to me, if it isnt wanted in a relatioship thats fine, it doesnt bother me to any great extent (i say this from experience).
    If there is to be sex in a relationship i have simple rules, if you like something let me know, if i like something ill let you know, and dont be worried about constructive criticism, everyone has to learn what individuals like at first and exploring each others bodies for the first while is on of the most thrilling and exciting things in life....with this in mind my sex life has only ever gone up and up.

As it is though, the one i truly love, i messed the relationship up, i cant blame my illness entirely as i seriously screwed the relationship, we've been split up for over 4 years now and i find myself loving her more and more everyday....tis natures way of punishing me :rolleyes:
    But the nature of love as it is...you always think you will never find love again and when you do it is always different but that isnt to say different is bad, i still love my first love (albeit in a different way now) yet the love i felt for her was totally different to the love i felt for the one i should have never split with. And i shall find love again, ive apparently got a couple of women who "love" me at the moment although i know it is neither of them. when i do find someone who i love it will be a good day

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

this sounds so sweet, sincere and came from your heart. whenever i think of romance i think of synthetic stuff but i can tell you felt so much for this girl and you wanted to show her how you felt and the way you did it sounds rare. i wouldn't find what you did at 3am annoying at all...and i doubt many boyfriends would make such an effort like you'd done.

i know what you mean. i don't have any feelings for my ex gf though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  16. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

ive loved 3 people in my life, the all of which i still love, even the other day i went for a few pints with my first love and its great, we ended up at hers till 7am, we chat and have a laugh and we both still love each other, its a matter of we both know why the relationship failed and although things are different now i.e more mature we still know some things are best left in the past. we're great friends now and we're both still very involved in each others familys.
    My second love, well, she is my only ex who wont speak to me, and to be honest i cant blame her. I was having frequent break downs as my illness progressed undiagnosed. i have however sent many many apologies to her and i still ask her friends how shes doing at uni because she is still close to my heart and i would still happily jump in front of a train for her
    My third love, the one i stupidly fucked up well...i messed up, we set up a business together and apparently stealing cars, midnight wanders and my other antics just got in the way lol. We are still friends although to be fair it is now a distant friendship by my own decision, sorta feels like someones slicing your insides up when you see the person you love with another man...

but hey ho you live you learn, next relationship i aim on forgetting everything ive learned in previous relationships and starting a new slate, see how that plays out

p.s the writing on the road thing was bit of a phase, i drew a massive "odie" from garfield on the road leaving the village with smile written underneath...hopefully it made a few people smile on the way to work:laugh:

17. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Don't think it exists.

18. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I don't know- I'm 31 and never been in love.
    I know I never will be either. Trust me no one will ever want me. I'm a worthless piece of trash.

19. sdcg76

sdcg76 Member

Aww, don't say that! No I don't know you personally but we all have value and are worthwhile to do anything and everything!! And it may sound cheesy and cliche, but never say never, there's always hope:smile: You can PM me if you like.

20. All these mixed emotions

All these mixed emotions Well-Known Member

there is true love... I heard an urban legend once about it..

no but seriously its about caring, not love as such... you care(love) so much that when you wreck your car the first thing you do is to check on your girlfriend, then yourself, then maybe the car. :) Because you dont care what happens to you, the only thing that matters is that your loved one is ok. And knowing that she survived will be the best news ever...

But sadly you first gonna know that you truly loved her if she died... can you handle that? If the answer is no, then you love her

//L