What is wrong with America and what can we do to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob26003

What is wrong with America and what can we do to fix it?

Because, after all, Democracy doesn't function without involvement.

:patriot: :rant: :phone: :mug: :hippy: :idea: :grouphug: :albert: :missing:

InnerStrength

Granted, there are plenty of problems in america. But, it isn't the only country suffering from the lack of proper guidance and administration. I think the only way a nation can prosper in the long-term (read: not decay after a few hundred/thousand years, then reform) is to cooperate with the world. For, without cooperation, it all falls apart IMO. I know that response is decidedly vague, but that's all I have as I don't intensly study politics, the hypocrisy annoys me. My opinion could be naive and uneducated, but that's how i see things.

P

ProzacDeathWish

What is wrong with America is that it is filled with Americans. :patriot::talk: :help:

Last edited:
P

ProzacDeathWish

I would move out of America, if I could.
My fantasy would be that if I were a rich billionaire to leave the US :unclesmil ( permanently ) and build myself a wonderful Taj Mahal in some secluded
natural paradise....and no one would ever see me again :sadwave:

My fantasy would be that if I were a rich billionaire to leave the US :unclesmil ( permanently ) and build myself a wonderful Taj Mahal in some secluded
natural paradise....and no one would ever see me again :sadwave:
Absolutely. I can picture a pearly white palace waiting in the mountains of Kashmir. However, that region is too prone to violence, so instead I'll have plans written out for the day I inherit my own island in the southwest Pacific. Being the leader of a small, isolated society would have it's benefits. A man hasn't truly lived until he's been corrupted by absolute power, criticized by the public, and then loses all his authority to a coup d'etat.. and is banished to the sea on a make-shift yacht with limited supplies and no gps, map, or compass.

... on second thought, did I mention how great life is? What a wonderful modern society we have here. :-o

P

ProzacDeathWish

Absolutely. I can picture a pearly white palace waiting in the mountains of Kashmir. However, that region is too prone to violence, so instead I'll have plans written out for the day I inherit my own island in the southwest Pacific. Being the leader of a small, isolated society would have it's benefits. A man hasn't truly lived until he's been corrupted by absolute power, criticized by the public, and then loses all his authority to a coup d'etat.. and is banished to the sea on a make-shift yacht with limited supplies and no gps, map, or compass.

... on second thought, did I mention how great life is? What a wonderful modern society we have here. :-o
Actually I was just using "Taj Mahal" as a metaphor to piant a word-picture, but I guess if I were really a billionaire and I wanted to live in the actual Taj Mahal I could just buy the whole country and make everybody leave. Hmmmmm, I didn't think of that ?

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
In my humble opinion America is infected with a debilitating and possibly fatal case of Apathy. Most of us just don't care to look out from our blinders to see what's going on. Many of us are so busy just trying to make a living/support themselves and/or family that they haven't the energy or ambition to look anywhere outside their own lives, whether for selfishness or just overwhelming fatigue.

I haven't fallen prey to that Apathetic Illness much myself, as I'm a cynical serial voter and active in politics to the extent my energy allows. But I know, and know of, too many people who just don't give a damn, either cause they don't care or cause they don't believe their opinion/vote counts for anything.

I used to work in a typical factory - ugh - and was always speaking out against management's bad policies etc. My coworkers would cheer me on, but when I asked them to speak up as well, most wouldn't do it. Some were afraid of repercussions, some just wanted 'someone else' to speak up on their behalf... and like the frog in the pot of water on the stove, they didn't notice the water was getting hotter til it was too late. Or, just as bad, they didn't believe in speaking up for "the other guy", as in, "if it doesn't affect me directly, I don't want to get involved." Sad, so sad...:sad:

Some can be convinced of the necessity of speaking and acting for the greater good, some will just tune you out cause they don't want to hear it. Either way, if we don't start screaming in the streets pretty soon it may be the end of our so-called 'civilized world'. I'm a big fan of that popular quotation about "not speaking up for the Poles cause I wasn't Polish, not speaking up for the French cause I wasn't French... and when they came for me, there was no one left to speak..."

Sorry for the long rant, just sick to death of the "me me me" attitude and the not caring for anyone else.

least

only 759 more days of the shrub's reign of terror...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00