What is wrong?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sfk, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfk

sfk New Member

I did write a new post, a very long one. I have very real legal, financial and medical problems and I really hoped that I might meet someone with some insight on these things or at least get some solace from someone who cares but this forum of yours decided to log me out unbeknownst to me and when I hit "submit" it merely deleted everything. I can't write it again. Nobody has that much free time. Why do you do this to people who are already so miserable? I have already dealt with severe criminality and immorality in absolutely EVERY area of my life and I am reaching out for help yet your "glitch" makes you dishing out to me just more of the same. It feels the absolute same to me as all the other BS that got me here.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Hello SFK - I am sorry for the problem you experienced. I have heard of this happening before and believe it may be a "time-out" problem that comes about after a longtime and unfortunately that typically would happen when there is a "long" post be written. You may want to post about the problem in the "trouble shooting" forum.

In the mean time if you would like to share at least some bullet comments about your situation somebody may be able to help you or alternatively feel free to stop into chat where there is typically a good number of people to provide real time support and feedback to issues that may be troubling you.

Ben

3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

It could be two things - one, the most likely problem, is that the website timed you out. The forum automatically logs you out after 15 minutes of "inactivity"... unfortunately typing a post does not seem to count as "activity". Being someone who regularly types long posts and PMs, this is an obvious problem for me (it's also important to note that private messages are limited to 5000 characters... I'm probably one of only a few people who encountered issues with this on multiple occasions). Anyway, the only solution I've found is to copy your text to your clipboard before submitting it - that or opening the forum in another tab or window and logging in again before hitting submit. I shared your same frustration when I first came here... I had a lot to bitch about, and the website seemed to just delete all of it, forcing me to type it all over again. I've heard that you can also solve this problem by setting the site to "remember" your computer instead of having to log on and off all the time, but as I use a shared computer, this isn't a viable option for me.

The second possible problem is that new members' posts have to be approved by the site admins. I faced this problem also when I was new... I was desperate and suicidal when I first tried to register, and it took a while for my message to post. This was extremely frustrating for me. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel - life is getting you down and you finally get the courage to reach out for help, only to end up feeling like you've wasted your time. That is one thing I would change about this site if I could - mainly the length of time it takes for the website to "time out" on people. I know the staff has reasons for this particular "glitch" - it's intended to protect the privacy of people using public computers, in case they forget to log off - but it's still very aggravating. It would be nice if it was an option that you could turn off, or if they could just extend the time to 30 minutes instead of 15, but these things are not up to me. I have managed to find support here in spite of such minor annoyances though, and I hope you do decide to come back again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.