What is your favorite Sports & why?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Bostonensis, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Tennis runs in my family. Growing up from a very poor village & so many sibling we have to improvised a lot of our games .Tennis is parallel with high adrenaline & being very very sinister kids we were inclined to the rush.river rafting is another one. Chess is also a very good escape from reality.
    Tennis is my all time favorite. I can actually focus & not daydream when I am watching. The most attentive audience /spectators are seen in tennis tournaments. The silence is so unbearable like you can hear a pindrop when the game is on.

What's yours?

Henin v. V. Williams Finals

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Gymnastics...I love it because it is SO dangerous and requires so much discipline...and so beautiful to watch...The best gymnasts make the most difficult things seem effortless.

Basketball...Michael Jordan is my hero...he showed me that talent can be learned and that sometimes, something can be so beautiful, it can make me cry :)

3. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Table Tennis. I used to play a lot in college (before I flunk and got kicked out after the first year) and I like it coz its rejuvenating and its indoor so it won't feel so hot. Used to play for hours!

4. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

My disability means that any kind of sport that involves a lot of fast running around is sort of out the question unless it's simply for fun, couldn't do it "competitively". That said, I used to quite enjoy messing around playing badminton for fun, and for a while volleyball as you don't generally have to move all that far! If chess counts as a sport, then that too, used to play county level a long time ago...

5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I like chess too! I'm a bit out of practise though. Recently i've taken up golf which has got me outside and exercising and given me some sort of direction. I like it because although it is a competitive sport it doesn't feel like it. Expensive though :(

6. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Will move this to the Coffee House, as it isn't a serious topic.

7. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Yes chess is a sport. A mental Xpression of Tennis. They sucked me both becoz I can lure them to my mental state of mind which is trnaquility.

8. junkie

junkie Guest

Mixed martial arts. I enjoy the beautiful violence.

9. StellarSparkle

StellarSparkle Well-Known Member

My favourite sports are tennis, swimming, cycling and pilates. At the moment I am doing pilates, and sometimes I play tennis with my brothers. I love them because they are so relaxing, as well as swimming, and I feel much better afterwards. I also enjoy le Tour de France, it's one of my biggest passions and I don't miss any day of it ! I love it because it's just so special, the atmosphere, the joy it brings, the beautiful places, everything ! :smile:

10. Me too ! I love mma ( Pride, UFC etc ) as well as kick boxing ( K1 as well as traditional Muay Thai )

My favorite super-heavyweight kickboxer is Jerome Lebanner from France. At 6'3" and 267 lbs you may call him a "sissy" Frenchman at your peril !!! :blink:

Here's a link of Lebanner from dailymotion.com, I hope it works: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17u6k_k1-world-gp-05-le-banner-vs-goodridge

Incidentally, Gary Goodridge ( the guy who lost the fight ) and Lebanner are very good friends outside of the ring.

My favorite heavyweight fighter from mma is Fedor Emelianenko from the Ukraine and his teammate *Roman Zentsov. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmxg7_roman-zentsov-vs-pedro-rizzo

I also like Mirko Filipovic ( Croatia ) and Wanderlei Silva ( Brazil ), both light heavyweights.

My favorite Muay Thai fighters are Buakaw Por Pramuk from Thailand, Masato
    from Japan, Melchor Menor from the Phillipines, and Ramon Dekkars from Holland.

There are many other talented fighters:nunchuk: that I would like to list but I am afraid that the rest of the SF members would find that boring as martial arts has such a small following compared to other sports around the world.

I would like to add that despite the obvious violent nature of martial arts the athletes who climb into the ring and literally beat the crap out of each other are among the best at showing sportsmanship :shake: toward their opponents especially when compared to their millionaire basketball, football and baseball counterparts.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  11. Esmeralda

UFC used to be better at the beginning when Gracie was fighting. If you remember, there were no "rounds", just fight until somebody taps out. They also stop the fights now for stupid shit IMO. Back in the day, I saw a guy get a tooth knocked across the mat and keep fighting.

12. Ha ha ! I like you peanut !!! ( I'm glad you're a fan of martial arts. )

13. Esmeralda

Heehee...likewise PDW :) I especially like the guys who can wrestle/grapple. In MMA, if you can't fight on the ground, you're pretty much screwed. Joint manipulation is pretty cool too. My husband was into that and Greco-Roman wrestling, so he taught me some pretty cool stuff :)

14. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

i like rugby, hockey, baseball, football. I like rugby because you get to hit the ppl as hard as you want and you don't get in trouble for it :biggrin: and i played the hooker.

Hockey because i get to play on a team and i don't know, the feeling of freshly sharpened skates on the ice just get me

Baseball because you get the sun and i don't know how to explain it

Football well because i like to throw the ball and watch the pros hit eachother

i like the UFC too

15. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

ABACUS, in response to the insignificance of Sports . I put Sports as a topic becoz most humans have in one way or the other get pleasures out of Sports. Never mind the therapeutic effects on the mind & the body. Sports is also veyr healing to talk about .Like music & arts sports can bring out emotions ,whatever that maybe.

One thing about sports is at least we do not have to argue who is what or why e.g religionism.
    To prove my point the people who posted , from them alone are how many minutes that our mind was relieved away from the chaos of how we end up in this forum. A minute or two is well worth it.

When baseball is on or world series ,how many millions of people are glued to the tube? How much money are poured in? Try a rally on vioplence. Check it out how many audience will be there.

Go Henin......its yours ,bring the Wimbledon home.She is a Warrior.

16. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

I like Henin becoz to me she represents the heroic act of self determination. She is a truly truly shadow of a Conqueror. She have such a very challenging life as a youngester.She lost her mother when she is 12 & on her own since then. She has no coach to begin with unlike the elites. The coach came to her only to sharpen her techniques after seeing her in the limelight in Belgium. After she won the Australian Open in 2004 she got struck of a lethal disease. Determination again bring her to Wimbledon. She made a promise to her mother that she too will play in Centre Court. Here she comes. The Warrior of the Century in Tennis history.

I can even feel now her victory! Real women kick ass

17. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Football (soccer) have played it all my life, use to be in the football team at primary and secondary school. Love watching it on TV.

LOVE watching wimbledon, for some reason i only like watching the womens matches tho :laugh:

18. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Vikki, here in the US tennis is almost non existent compare to the other sports. This puzzled me for a long time. However I found some speculations on my part that Us here are not familiar with the art & beauty of this mind challenging sport. And it comes with an stigma that tennis is for the elites. I have proven it first hand when I first came to this country. Most memberships are by invitation only. I don't get the invitations part.

Americans eats a lot of yogurt & it is somehow IMHO that this is ccccconversely related to physics. Long explanation. Since I started playing again ,I noticed that I am more now in tuned of my body such as the effects of uneven balance on my anatomical structures . Balance that harnesses mind over anything.

I have to buy my stuff thru Ebay as there are not much outlets for players for tennis.

I love the precision ,velocity & the mind challenge of this game wrap into one.

Henin ,a tennis warrior. very clever.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  19. Hey peanut you and your husband are versed in Greco-Roman style
    wrestling; did you ever come across any info on a Russian super-heavyweight
    competitor named Alexander Karelin. He was extremely gifted with the physical tools and mental strength to totally dominate the sport for over a decade ( until he was defeated by an American wrestler. ) He was a freakin' beast ! :showoff: He weighed 15 pounds at birth and was undefeated for 13 years.

Check out some of the vids on the wikipedia link below and you'll see what I mean.

Peace !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Karelin

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  20. Esmeralda

Oh yes I know who he is! That man was truly amazing. So many times you see a heavyweight wrestler and they are not in great shape, they just use their weight to push each other around the mat, but this guy was INSANE! I liken him to Hercules or something, perfectly cut and in ridiculous shape. The intimidation factor alone must have had his competitors pissing their pants! But holy crap I had no idea he weighed that much as a baby! His poor mother :laugh: I was actually sad to see him defeated even though I'm from the US. Thanks for the video...I'm gonna check it out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.