What It's Like to Be A Widow

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by bright1, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

When a man loses his spouse, he's seen as an eligible bachelor. All the women who know him just wait until a year passes before they start asking him out. A widower is thought to have plenty of money and no one to spend it on.

When a woman loses her spouse, she's seen as someone desperate to find the next man to support her. She's looked at with suspicion, and every relationship, every interaction with men is scrutinized to see if she's trying to "land" her next husband.

And when that widow is fat, every unmarried man she knows is suddenly paranoid. None of them want to spend any time with her because they worry that she might look at them with desire, and that would horrify them.

I've overheard men talking to each other about this. They grimace and do that thing where they try to shake off the memory of having a fat woman look at them. They laugh at all the sad widows they know who keep hounding them, trying to get them to visit, baking them cookies. They shake their heads at how pathetic widows are. They all have a good laugh.

What's someone like me supposed to do? Sit at home alone, I guess.
  2. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm here if you ever need to talk.
  3. triggs

triggs Account Closed