What keeps you alive?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ~JD~, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~JD~

~JD~ New Member

This is a serious question, and I'm not joking around. Why are you still alive? What keeps you going day after day? what keeps you coming back?
  2. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

my animals and a few friends who truly care about me and so I don't hurt my family.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i am still alive because.... hard question lol, im scared of the pain of dying, scared of my family being hurt by suicide, but on the other hand i spend most of my time searching for the perfect way to commit suicide, I think that just knowing i can die at any time i want helps me a lot, it keeps me going.
  4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I guess i'm still alive because there is this part of me that doesn't want to leave my friends and family. I'm scared to leave them. I'm scared to take that step and that i will feel alone. I'm scared I wont find peace.
  5. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

I'm still alive because I know it would absolutely devastate my mom and brothers if I were to kill myself. Period.
  6. neverdie

neverdie Guest

I love life, death will come whether we want it to or not. Sooner or later we will all die, and I will do almost anything to stay alive as long as possible. Sure there are things that make people sad, stressed out, scared. But for me, those feelings never last for ever. For me, there are way more happy times then sad.
  7. Alliecat2

Alliecat2 New Member

I'm still alive because my insurance policy with my new job doesn't cover suicides until you have had the policy for two years. Is it normal.. lol, if you can call it normal, to 'schedule' your death when it would benefit the most people? So that when you leave it will all be planned - the plot paid for, arrangements all made, plane tickets for family bought and paid for, living will and DNR completed in the event I screw it up, house sold, etc? Or am I just being my typical control freak? :)
  8. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Music and that tiny ray of hope that it brings!
  9. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

My animals, friends, and music mostly.
  10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

A very good friend killed himself five years ago. I remember thinking how sad it was that he left this world thinking that he was alone, forgetting how much we all loved him. He was a funny, sweet guy, a talented artist and musician, and his encouragement is the reason I'm now a photographer.

I swore to myself that if depression hit me again I would fight it with everything I had, and wrote a note to myself *then* to not believe its sneaky lies. So here I am, hating myself, telling myself daily what a fuck-up I am, how alone I am and there's a tiny piece of me that remembers my friend.

I stay alive 'cos I have a tiny bit of hope in me that it's depression that talks so cruelly to me, and that I am not entirely correct in my perceptions. A tiny, tiny piece of hope.

11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my kids and my animals - I can't desert them
  12. TryingSoHard

TryingSoHard Member

A few things keep me from leaving. I have an online relationship (as sad as that sounds lol) and she knows how i feel about everything and sticks by me. Also i think my familt would be pretty cut up about it even though we are not all that close, my nan especially as my grandad only just passed away. (after thought, they might not even care but i would like to think they would)

Other than those people i think i have a fear of death, but this goes away when i feel really bad. i have never attempted to kill myself so i dont know if there is fear then. i fear pain also which may seem strange as i si, so it limits the methods i would use.

Stay safe
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  13. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Maybe a fear of death and the uncertainly of just "what dreams may come" might actually hold.

My father used to say Everyone want to go to heaven but no one wants to die." :)

And thirdly, there's hope. Life is nothing if not unpredictable. :)
  14. Love's Icy Death

Love's Icy Death Well-Known Member

knowing the effect id have on the few people that actually care about me
  15. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

because i was found twice before i pulled the trigger
  16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I am still alive because I love my life and my family too much to do it. What keeps me going day after day is the belief that my life has a purpose in the world, which involves helping people as much as I can. I keep coming back here because I know how devastating suicide can be on loved ones and I don't want to lose anymore of the friends I've made here to suicide.
  17. New-Hope

New-Hope Well-Known Member

My friends, family and generally the will to live. I love my life, I just hate the shit things that happen occasionally :dry:
  18. Hatemylife88

Hatemylife88 Well-Known Member

My family, I love them so much
  19. lil-emo-emz-15

lil-emo-emz-15 New Member

20. feel the rain

feel the rain Active Member

my girlfriend, my friends and my dog
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.