What keeps you from doing it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by damaged goods, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damaged goods

damaged goods Active Member

For me, it's my cat. No one will adopt her, and no one will notice when I'm gone, so if I just leave, she'll starve to death. She's old & sick, has no quality of life left, she'd be better off dead. I might put her down, put still feel a little guilty about it.

What keeps you here?

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well I believe in an afterlife, and I have no clue about what that experience might be like. Maybe I have a subconscious clue, because I'm sure I had an "afterlife" before this life. A "beforelife"? :laugh: I don't know!
    But there are still things in this world that can make me smile I guess. Certain movies, certain songs. There are certain things which I enjoy that I would miss. And I am also scared of what comes next if I kill myself. If I'm in hell on earth, how can I be sure I won't create my own hellish afterlife? And then who can I turn to for help? I have no idea, I'm scared of what's next. And I'm scared of the transition. Of the awareness of knowing you're going to die, whatever way I choose to. I don't want to know I'm going to die. It would scare the fucking shit out of me!

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

My parents. If I did it, they'd be devastated. Also I'm curious to see how things will pan out.
    When I'm at my lowest, the only thing stopping me is having not having my method.

4. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

fear of the unknown. my kids. a glimmer of hope that a miracle can happen. Hey that's enough alright?

5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

My mum.

6. Tavil

Tavil Well-Known Member

The fear of death.
    I cant bear it.
    I don't want to die even with my life being the mess it is.

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

My parents will be better off not to mention richer so that reason does not apply to me. No friends so no tie there. I guess it is a slight shred of hope that maybe I have not fucked up my life beyond repair and well I guess I have to admit a lack of courage to down the death juice but I trust that I will have it when it is time.

8. cofmadness

cofmadness Well-Known Member

Not knowing for sure what comes after death, I think what if I'm worse off dead than alive...

9. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Nothing really. I'll keep trying till I succeed.

10. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I have mood swings.

11. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

1) My dog, Ginger. Same reason as the cat! No one will take care of her and it wouldn't be fair for her to go back to the kennel and all the psychological trauma that would ensue for her, as well as the possibility she could get put down.

2) Cowardice. I'm afraid of pain and all the ways I've researched end in pain.

3) If I wait longer than a few hours after I begin really feeling that way (hit bottom), it goes away, especially if I vent.

12. MY girlfriends, family, friends and cat keep me alive.
    But barely.

I have too many mood swings to be healthy for myself. I know I need to get over them, but it's hard.

Meanwhile I just push myself to stay jolly and all smiles with people I know, either on forums or in real life.

13. damaged goods

damaged goods Active Member

Those are all great answers, thanks. It helps to know what keeps other people going.

And I guess it's not really honest for me to say that my only reason is my cat. There's also fear...it's just hard to put my finger on what I'm afraid of...

I guess I'm afraid of letting people down (even though I've isolated myself, they'll still find out eventually), afraid that my method won't work, afraid that I'll be perceived as weak, afraid of what the afterlife holds.

14. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

For me, the deterrent is the fear of the attempt backfiring. What I mean is that I might survive but wind up paralyzed and comatose. If I could only find someone to euthanize me, but for the time being, it's only the animals who are lucky enough to get that kind of treatment. So since I am forced to stay alive, I have to make the best of it. Pain is here to stay and I have to keep a stiff upper lip.

15. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I welcome death and can't wait for my eventual demise, unfortunately I have a wife and kids that I think need me so I'm stuck in this hell.

16. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My family, mainly as niece and mom.

Scared of the 'dying' part..

17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Basically? Fear. I don't think I could walk out the door for the last time knowing what I was doing. Every time I try to imagine what that would be like, I just get this terrible feeling and I know I could never do it.

18. tranceadikd

tranceadikd Member

Time and not having everything yet

19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My daughter and grandaughter,..Also the fact that I have been fighting this the last four years..I can't get past the feeling that I just don't care about myself..

20. shades

shades Staff Alumni

My mother

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.