What keeps you going?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Kunera, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kunera

Kunera Well-Known Member

What makes you feel like you're actually doing something productive, and worthwhile with your life? What makes you know that you're actually right? Who do you turn to, to reassure you of this?

What makes you feel like you actually make a difference? What makes you feel like you would actually be missed if you were gone? What makes you feel like you're not a complete social reject? What makes you feel like you actually belong?

Most importantly, what keeps you going when you don't feel any of these, and how in God's name do you find whatever makes you feel all of these things? :unsure:

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Sometimes you have to look for the littlest things. Maybe a complete stranger smiled at you or maybe you saw a beautiful bird flying around. and sometimes just try and focus on bigger things such as maybe there is somebody out there that truly cares about you. If you just focus on anything that is positive no matter how big or small it can sometimes help you just keep going...to just keep fighting.

3. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

I don't know, but something within wants help.
    So i hold onto it, never wanting to let go. I fumble at times, but i can still reach it.

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Honestly, I don't have anyone to turn to. I feel I'm facing the depression and the closest people to me at the same time. Going to college and another social thing twice a week makes me feel I'm doing something worthwhile. Also learning languages. I guess learning and trying to better myself is what keeps me going. :dunno: You've got to live for you.

5. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

(a) It would kill my husband and my parents if I committed suicide, and I'd rather be miserable than have them be miserable.
    (b) I have good days where I feel okay, if not great. And that's enough to keep me thinking one day I'll beat this. And I'm doing a lot better than I was six months ago, at least in the anger department, so maybe someday I won't feel like such a waste.
    (c) I'm apparently too ornery and bloody-minded to die. I should be dead like five times over by now, but I always survive. So, maybe that's the universe's way of telling me "Don't like it here? Suck it up and tough it out, becase we aren't letting you crap out on this one."

6. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

hatred wondering if i should take others out before i killed myself, other people left me in this pathetic shape i am in

7. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

When I'm helping others I feel as if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

How it makes me feel inside.

No one. I trust my own instincts.

When something I have said or done makes another person smile, or happy, or appreciative, or enhances their life in some manner.

I don't believe I would be missed for more than a day or three. Honestly.

Nothing, because I know I am.

Nothing can. I'm messed up inside, so I will never trust or believe that anyone actually cares, even if they do.

Fear of death. Stubbornness?

I have no idea how other people do it. I've tried all the stuff that "normal" people do, and I've tried what therapists and self-help books and everything have suggested, and they just don't work with me. I think I'm just too broken.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I know what life is and I don't want to die being uselessly 'productive' for no reason. I know what I'm doing all the time, I'm growing and working, talking to the right people, acting, and realising who I am/my relationships and how this has effected my mental health.

Myself. I told my therapist in my last few sessions I know where I belong. Something natural, growing and doesn't like to be controlled.

I don't feel the compulsive need/guilt to "make a difference" or to go to volunteering projects when I'm dying. Many of the people working with people with MH problems think guilt tripping is helpful - these people generally make assumptions about my life from the little I tell them at times of distress and I'm met with 'go to volunteering' you 'are very isolated', not realising how much all of that had to do with their systems themselves and how I think I'm one of the least isolated/lonely/unhappy people around because so many people are estranged from who they are themselves and others. When my life is treated despicably because of how/who I am, I scream loud and clear to the people who should be supporting me (and am usually punished). I don't think I'm a "social reject," no way. I've always been rejected from society but that doesn't make me a 'social reject'. I don't have any need to belong or change myself to fit in. I'm part of it though.

The above. Myself. I think I'm fantastic. :smile:

9. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

You are.

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you're the sweetest and have helped me a lot here by just being the kind person you are. thank you. :smile:

to the OP try living for yourself and see where you go.

11. Hitomi

Hitomi Well-Known Member

Only 1 thing matters to me in this world and that is my fiancee. I could care less what happens to me but I truly want him to be happy.

12. SplinterStar

SplinterStar Active Member

My dog can't let herself out. She doesn't have thumbs.

13. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

My daughter if it weren't for her id be gone

14. Alice

Alice Guest

Maybe just the fear of pain, since almost all ways of suicide are either painful, or ugly and take a long time. If I could only find myself a gun, or cause myself a heart attack, that would be great. About being missed... Well, I'm not a Mahatma Gandhi to be grieved over globally. The sun will be rising anyway, the same cars will be driving along the streets and such. The world just won't notice me vanishing.

15. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My kids First.

My girlfriend, second.

16. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Marissa, Alessia, my mom, and my own dreams and ambitions. :)

17. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I don't feel worthwhile with my life. I'm not doing anything productive at all.
    I don't have anyone to turn to, no one to reassure me.
    Nothing makes me feel like I make a difference because I really don't.
    I actually am a complete social reject, I barely leave my apartment anymore.
    I've never felt like I belonged anywhere, always been an outcast.
    So basically I have nothing to keep me going, I honestly don't know how or why I'm still here. It's not hope for anything because all of my hope is long gone.

18. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

depleted_soul you said everything I am feeling..it must be something biological that keeps going, I am not sure.

19. Vanq

Vanq Active Member

I don't feel those things. I don't need to. Haven't for a long time, if ever. I live for the most part in my own world in my own head, and rarely do I think about my place in the outside world, or, rather, my lack thereof. I deal with events in the outside world as they come up and then I go back to my own world, and thereby avoid ruminating. Also, celexa helps me not feel, and more importantly, it helps me not care about not feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.