What keeps you going?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by cloud720, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud720

cloud720 Member

I cant say I'm depressed but I'm not happy. I see nothing to look forward to. I just don't care about anything. I was just wondering what other people feel like they have to live for.

2. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Friends, Family, so many reasons!

3. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

I have nothing to live for, the only thing left for me to do is find the keys to the safe and then im out

4. cloud720

cloud720 Member

but what do you do when you are not close with friends and family? or have no desire to be?

5. April

April Member

Well then thats sad hon and a few years ago I would have completely agreed with it. The truth is, you just need to make an effort to make new friends. You will be amazed at the difference they can make.

You've also forgot that you have to live for your own sake. You say you're unhappy and that cant be accepted. You owe it to yourself to try and make your life better for you in order to be happy. It will take time and its difficult but there are options. See professionals if you can and try to remember what made the difference when you were happy. Just give it time and you will be stronger.

stay safe

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I stay for my guinea pigs, for my mom and for my writings. When I get suicidal I think about my mom because I know she would go mad if I died. I tend to watch tv and then go to sleep because usually the next day I feel a bit better...

I'm sorry you feel like you got nothing to look forward too. Is there some things you like doing? Like watch movies or read books?

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My family(niece mainly) and this forum.

8. JRC2004

JRC2004 Well-Known Member

Hey Cloud I so know where you're coming from

9. ODIECOM

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

hmmmm, how long to i have to think about the answer ?
    what do i have to live for ?
    right now .... the future. there are things i want to do. there are things that i know will take time to achieve. i have been in this state 4 months and i have made a couple of friends. lost one that i had for 13.5 years.
    attempted suicide the first month and a half i was out here.

what keeps me going ? as long as i know im making an effort to grow .... things will improve.
    im not where i want to be, but im not where i was.

10. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i live because... well i have no choice. but first chance i get...

11. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I'm alive for my music, but mostly for my mom - I think she'd go crazy.

12. cloud720

cloud720 Member

I have no goals. if i am going to be here it would be nice to make money and live comfortably but that doesn't seem to be reason enough to live.

I lack creativity so so music or writing isn't going to do it for me.

I may also lack empathy. I'm sure my mother would be sad but that plays no factor in how i feel.

I do feel like i could make myself happier if i wanted to. but doing so would only make life more bearable not give me a reason to live. It would be nice to have more hobbies or make more friends or whatever, but I don't see myself ever saying that this is what life is all about.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  13. Jolanta

Jolanta Member & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

What keeps me going?
    My husband, children, and grandchildren.
    My mother and sisters and other family members.
    My God in Heaven, the Lord Jesus Christ.
    My friends in Church.
    My volunteer job and my friends there.
    The support group I lead and my friends there.
    The weekly essay I write for the local newspaper.
    The wonderful team of doctors who care for me.
    And to think there was a time I could not remember all the good things I had going for me. All I could feel was numb, and I wanted nothing more than to die. I thought God was telling me it was time for me to come home. (I'm Bipolar.) I was a cutter, I have a scar on my left wrist to remind me of that. It is not all wine and roses now but I feel good much more than I feel bad.

14. Jehuty

Jehuty Senior Member

My girlfriend and my cat, thats it really. :cry:

15. Hobbes

Hobbes New Member

I skateboard with friends everyday and hang out with friends but that's the only thing that keeps me going lately. Good enough as i'm still here.

16. cloud720

cloud720 Member

Last week I would have agreed with you about the girlfriend part, but girlfriends leave. And why should your happiness depend on another?

17. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to live for. My existence is pointless.

18. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

for my mother,yeah no point in my life...

19. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

think i have a chance at being really happy

20. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

My diagnosis is borderline personality disorder, not depression. I used to have depression, but I seem to have that under control. The difference is that BPD can cause sudden, intense mood swings that turn ugly. However, the rest of the time, I'm pretty darn happy. So, what I have to remind myself is how happy I am when the mood swing goes away.

What's more, with some of my other issues that I'm dealing with, I kinda feel like I'm just starting to live my life and..... I haven't really experienced everything I'm supposed to. I know that doesn't make sense to everyone, but trust me, it has an impact on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.