What makes a good therapist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Brent1969, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent1969

Brent1969 Member

Recently started counseling with a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who practices as a mental health therapist, based on a recommendation from my GP. I've seen her four or five times now, but just don't feel like it's going where I want it to.

Now, I know from reading on here that some will say I need to give it more time, and that I need to be clear with the therapist what I want out of the sessions, and I agree with that.

But since I'm 42 years old and this is my first experience with counseling, I would like to hear from you the good therapists you've seen and what made them good in your opinion.

Thanks.

2. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

for me, it's someone that is willing to listen to you and someone that can offer good coping strategies.

also, i think that they need to be understanding.. if something is too hard to talk about right now, then they have to be aware of that- and not try and push you too hard.

i've only had good experiences with therapists- my current 1 which i see every tuesday is lovely

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The absolute best aspect of a therapist is a good rapport with the patient.

Since patients are all unique, the best fit therapist is unique as well.

Find a therapist you can trust and open up to, that is the most important aspect to therapy.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

ONe that has earned your trust that take time that definetly listens and sees
    where you are at . One that is experianced in more then one technique as well.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

for me trust and compassionate listening are the most important things.

if you don't "click" you will know by now (usually takes about six sessions to know). trust your gut instincts. if you think you won't be able to open up, eventually, to this person seek another therapist.

6. Brent1969

Brent1969 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen my therapist four times and intend to give it a couple more sessions before making any sort of change, since I recognize that it's still early and we're in the 'building rapport and trust' phase, and really just getting to know each other.

What bugs me is, to date, there seems to be no consistency from one session to the next. We'll talk about XYZ during a session, then in the next session, we talk about ABC. She doesn't follow-up on prior conversations well.

B

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yes i jump around in my sessions, too
    but if you want to return to a topic, then bring it up. say i don't think we're finished with topic x yet and i'd like to talk about it more.
    most therapists let you direct the topic, unless you are doing cbt or a more structured, time limited program.

8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

oh yeah, wanted to add, if she forgets things you already told her that's a bad thing. like she forgets you have kids, or are married, or attempted suicide last christmas, or what have you, time to get a new therapist. they should remember the important stuff about you from week to week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.