What makes a suicidal?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by foxwithwings13, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxwithwings13

foxwithwings13 Well-Known Member

hi. I just have a quick question... I've realized that I seem have suicidal thoughts or I guess it's called Suicidal ideation.. So basically my question is what makes a person "suicidal". If you have suicidal ideation can that alone make you be considered "suicidal"?

Sorry If that doesn't make much scence, I have a hard time trying to get my point across sometimes :unsure:

2. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

The general consesus is that suicidal thoughts are not normal. However, I believe a person can feel suicidal without being suicidal. Being depressed is having suicidal thoughts, thoughts of loneliness and all that other stuff. Being suicidal is actually acting on those suicidal thoughts, or actually having an intent to act on those toughts.

That's just my opinion.

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have suicidal ideation (consistantly thinking about killing myself. Consistantly believing that this will be the best outcome for me).

The thing is... I know I will NEVER commit suicide, because I genuinely don't want to. I don't want to die - I want things to get better.

If I actually ever did commit suicide or make a serious attempt, something will have pushed me over the edge, and I cannot even imagine what that would have to be, because it'd have to be so horrific that I dread to even think...
    I also wouldn't be myself anymore at that point, I wouldn't be thinking straight at all and I'd probably be very sloppy about it.

I guess someone already said it, thinking about dying - ideation. Making a plan/attempting it - suicidal.

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

To me it means that suicide is an option not just something you think about to rid the pain...it is on the list of possible things to fix your situation.

5. ODIECOM

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

suicide to me is the final conclusion to that which is.. and to that which we decide we cant handle anymore. the tides that we have tried to swim against just keep comming. your brought to your knees because you are to week to continue. what we dont realise is : there are many out there that dont even have knees to help them stand and yet they get by.

the mindset that over takes one to commit or attempt suicide is relentless.
    seems my life is gonna change, i close my eyes .. begin to pray .. if you ever listened to this song. it talks about a place. a place you can be with arms wide open. seems to me, this is the place to be .. sounds like this forum.

6. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

what a poignant response to the original post.About the people who do not even have knees to fall on but still get by..well..ironically people with such blatant disabilities often have more emotional support than the guy or woman in the suit who works and appears to be on top of things and have a great life.Then there is the little guys/women! like me who are neither blatantly disabled nor a suit donning professional who cannot show how sick inside they are...
    it is all relative..happiness and fortune and inspiration...anyone can be lacking what is essential to desire to live....rich ,poor,physically healthy or not...without emotional support and true love and utter acceptance..we are lost...until we find it.Which we all can..in time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  7. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

don't make me slap you,dear.You have the seeds in you and I hate that.Sigh.Unless you are talking about terminal illness but that is not the subject here..Don't you know it isn't an option ever for you ..once you have touched someone's life you are obligated to recognize that you are needed..eh?
    ((hugs)) and for anyone who thinks suicide is a possible solution to pain life doles out..((hugs)) not as long as I have somethin' to say about it!:whack::hug:

8. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

That is so true. I hate when people compare our pain to someone with cancer for example...it is all relative and it is always easier to relate to something tangible. And being a normal everyday person or donning a suit professional can make it harder to get the emotional support-people just can't believe that inside something could be wrong, they judge the book by it's cover.

I really like what you said and think it is oh true!!

About your other post you may have to fly out here for a couple of days and convince me otherwise.
    Love all B

9. ODIECOM

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

i think the point of the person without knees, brings up the idea that, even though we dont always have support readily availavble there are ways to over come. there are choices. sometimes its very hard to entertain those choices because we dont have the energy to do so.

having spent 8 days in a mental ward, i still dont feel the way i would like to.
    i can however make the choice tomorrow "payday" and buy 4 bottles of sleeping pills and get drunk and do it the right way, or i can sit here and realise that .. even though im still not happy, i can try AGAIN for the millionth time and do something about it.
    there are many ppl that are so broken every move they make is difficult. i respect that. im no differant and could end up that way ... by my own doing.

i fell to my knees 3 weeks ago because i didnt care and i was tired of fighting and have been for years. now its up to me to make a choice.

many dont have that, and even if they do, its difficult for them to break the stronghold depression has on them.
    for that, i wish them all the best.
    odie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.