What medication do you take?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by DannyBoy, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what everyone is taking for meds. Mine don't seem to be having the desired effect on me. I think my life and reality is just too much. And have you noticed any meds you take make the suicidal thoughts and feelings go away? When I take my seroquel and ativan at night I get temporary relief, but once they wear off into the next day they come back in full force.

Currently I'm on Effexor XR 300mg, 50mg Seroquel, 1mg ativan at night.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I take 300mg Seroquel and 1000mg Epival - but with that alone I still have a bipolar phase once per month!

My main method of controlling my bipolar is a simple sleep pattern as noted in my signature.

There's no guarantee that any given antidepressant will work for anyone. Depression has many different biological bases. Try another one if the one(s) you've tried doesn't work.

Also, keep an eye out for manic or hypomanic moods, you might be suffering from bipolar which is often made worse by antidepressants.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Digital Angel

Digital Angel Well-Known Member

Things will get better, trust me. :cat:

Okay, I feel bad, to be honest I only posted this so I could save this cat gif.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I take vitamins every now and then, but I guess they don't count.
  5. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

Wellbutrin 200 mg
    Risperidone 3 mg
    Lamictal 400 mg
    Lithium 600 mg
    Klonopin 1 mg
    and various over the counter supplements.
  6. abcd

abcd Active Member

I take 20mg Paxil and 100mg Seroquel.

In the past I had tried Effexor, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Celexa, Pristiq, Cymbalta,...
    All they did was keep me from crying all the time. the thoughts never got better.

However, when I started on just 25mg of Seroquel, my suicidal thoughts disappeared for 6 weeks. but they steadily came back. I've increased to 100mg with mediocre results. But I've started DBT therapy and hopefully the combination will work.

Good luck. Keep trying things until you find something that works.

Take care
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i'm on epival 750mg and zeldox 120mg for bipolar; wellbutrin xl 150mg for depression; propranalol 40mg for nightmares relating to ptsd. also oxazepam for sleep as needed. the wellbutrin xl is working nicely this time. not sure that the epival and zeldox are really doing anything. used to be on lithium but developed kidney problems so had to come off it. lithium worked really well for me. i feel overmedicated but have not done at well at all when off the meds. i guess it's the lesser of two evils.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

dazzle, have you ever looked at the link in my signature? It's a proven way to combat bipolar without/alongside medication.
  9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yes i read it earlier. great info. my sleep patterns are really messed up, it's probably the first thing i should try and fix. i have really noisy neighbours downstairs from me playing music or watching tv loudly at night (usually till 2 or 3 am). i wear earplugs but still have a hard time getting to sleep, or staying asleep. there's also a security light outside my window that flashes on at night when someone walks down the alley by my house, or when the wind blows it wrong. it's not bright but i can see it from my bed. so i'm not in total darkness.

all said, i'm very open to alternatives to medication. i've been spending alot of time reading through the info at the icarus project, esp. the info on psych meds and coming off them.
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, well, have you ever tried Seroquel? It's an extremely potent sleep aid, as well as an antidepressant and mood stabilizer. I believe its sleep effects are the main benefit I get from taking it, allowing me to maintain a more-or-less constant sleep schedule.

As for light, there are blinds that promise (and deliver) 100% light reduction, though they're relatively expensive ( http://www.blinds.ca/control/productSearch?pid=8310,8208,8209,8720,8721,8682,8314&cid=darken.htm - blackout cellular shades). I use a much cheaper version that's not lightproof at the edges but is an opaque material and hang a blanket to block most of the light at the edges, it saves me from the streetlight just outside the window ( http://www.blinds.ca/control/product/productID,8282 )

I've also used a neck warmer as a blindfold with good success.

Oh, and finally, a white noise source (fan, or static on a radio) will raise your thresh hold of hearing to the level of the noise. Most fans can't block really loud neighbours, but they do offer some help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  11. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

I like seroquel. It always put me to sleep and I've taken it on and off for like 7 years. Lately though it doesn't seem to be helping my depression as much.

When I first took it at only 50mg it worked great for everything, but I may have developed a tolerance to it.

I did go up to ridiculous dosages though. I was on the XR at like 400mg, then I started taking even more, but it didn't help my depression.

I think Seroquel is great for anxiety, paranoia, but it's a bit iffy for depression.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.