What medication do you use against depression?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Light, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Light

Light Member

I feel very depressed, don't see the point anymore in life and I hate myself a lot. I don't want to live like this anymore.. I think I want to try something that might help me feel better.

So I would like to ask to you. If you use medication against depression, what medication do you use? How do you feel now since you have used this medication? Do you feel less depressed, happy, or even worse or the same? What side affects did you get from taking the medication, or did you not get any side affects at all?

I am sorry about all those questions.. Maybe if I hear some stories of other people, it can help me decide to go see a doctor, take medications or not. I hope there are people that want to help me by answering the questions..
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

As you already know each medication will affect everyone differently but for me it was mirtazapine (remeron) that kicked my depression to the curb. I did not have much luck on prozac, effexor, amitriptyline(that one gave me seizures),cymbalta. Going down the medication route is something you have to be prepared for as it can take a long time to find the suitable one for you or combination. Right now i'm on lexapro and sertraline (both anti depressants) but for anxiety uses. Anti psychotics such as zyprexa or seroquel can help treat depression too. My depression has been gone for over a year now and I feel great within myself. I was lucky enough with side effects and hardly got any. I wish you the best of luck :) Also, welcome to SF.
  3. RandomL

RandomL Member

Over the past year, I have tried Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, and Mirtazipine for depression.

I've also used Quetiapine combined with each of the medications listed above. Just recently I have switched over to Olanzipine instead. I still haven't managed to find the medication that suits me.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Lexapro is the only one I've ever used, been taking it for almost 3 weeks now. It was initially prescribed for my anxiety, which has worked in making me much less anxious. I have not had panic attacks since I started it, and even if I have thoughts that would have bothered me before, they don't really bother me now. It is also used as an antidepressant, which seems to be helping somewhat. But I am only about halfway through the cycle before it starts to show its full effects. The only major side effect I have is being very tired after I take it, which is why I take it at night. Different medications will work differently depending on the person taking them. I hope you will be able to find something that helps combat the depressive thoughts :)
  5. Failure

Failure Well-Known Member

I have been taking escitalopram, a type of lexapro, for about 2 months now I believe. For the first 6 weeks on it felt "normal" again, I stopped self harming, I didn't feel suicidal, and I slept a whole lot better. After 6 weeks I relapsed with self harm, and haven't been the same since. Although, I haven't had any side effects from it, which i am glad about. Just talk to your doctor about your options and see which one works best for you. If will most likely not be the first one you try. Good luck!
  6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Currently loaded on sugar. That's my self-medication
  7. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Lexapro, distraction and compartmentalization works well for me.