What medications are you on?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am on quite a lot of medications and I'm wondering what others are taking, I want to cut down but my doctor told me she does not agree and told me she is afraid my impusivity, suicidal behaviours, panic attacks will come back as bad as they were. I'm on:

Zyprexa(Olanzapine (30mg some days, 20mg other days)
    Valium (Diazepam) 30mg
    Sertraline (Zoloft) 200mg
    Lexapro(escitalopram) (20mg)
    Lyrica (pregabalin) (600mg)

Each med is at max dosage, if I get really bad the doctor will give me a low dose of midazolam (only 3 injections of that this year so that's not an issue as I had a bad reaction to steroids).

My diagnosis is PTSD/Anxiety/Borderline Personality Disorder

Out of curiosity what are you on and what's your diagnosis?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think your doctor is too pill happy. Meds can bring relief to symptoms yes, but it only masks that problems that lay underneath. You really need to be tackling your underlying issues with a structured form of therapy so you can make sense of your thoughts, behaviours and learn to look at them differently and learn ways to cope with them. You also need to be looking at self-management of your illness and creating your own sort of "care plan" if you like. It really does not help your BPD diagnosis because you are now over reliant on meds to cope, and it's not the answer, at least not the complete answer anyway. And any doctor handing out injections of midazolam is an idiot. It should NOT be done.

Back to the original topic. I am diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder and Generalised Anxiety Disorder although I don't really suffer too badly with the GAD these days, I so still get anxiety but it's usually triggered by something. I have taken many meds but I have just started on Flupentixol on Thursday. Seem to be getting on okay with it at present but it's early days.

3. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Mirtazapine 30mg. Diagnosis is Anxiety/BPD/AvPD. I think it keeps my head above water for the most part, sleeping effects (I've had insomnia since I was a kid) are seeming to wear off now though :( Don't get any side effects though, I'm lucky.

Kind of shocked about how much medication you're on, and that your doctor won't let you cut down. Do you feel it's too much? I agree with Butterfly that intensive therapy and cognitive work is really the key for a lot of mental illness.

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Zero right now....doing ok

5. kopell

kopell New Member

20mg of lexapro a day, 100mg of gabapentin as needed for anxiety or insomnia. When I got out of the military, they gave me ~600 doses of 300mg gabapentin pills, so I wouldn't run out, I guess.

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

10mg of Lexapro, that's prescribed for anxiety. it helps with that, but doesn't really do anything for my depression.

7. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Humolog/Novolog - Type 1 Diabetes
    1x -Thyroid (Throxine) 72 mg - Hypothyroidism <--- HUGE HELP, Hypothyroidism strongly affects someone's mood, more prone to depression w/o it, lack of energy, split-ends
    1x - Lexapro (Escitalopram) 30 mg - Depression/Anxiety
    1x Sanctura 60mg - Spasms
    4x Baclofen 20mg - Muscle Spasms (regular)
    1x Lipitor/Statin (Atorvastatin) 10mg - Cholesterol
    1x Tizanidine 4mg - Muscle Spasms
    2x NAC Capsule - obsessive compulsive behaviors (it DOES work)

Occasionally Symlin (Blood Sugars), Senna and Busbar (anxiety) 15mg

Only half of what I was taking at during hospital stay :p. esp the antibiotics. Horrible nausea 24/7 for five months.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  8. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

Synthyroid 150 mcg
    welbutrin 450 mg
    effexor xr 600 mg
    abilify 15 mg
    lunesta 3 mg
    klonopin 5 mg as needed
    seroquel 100 mg
    ECT every 2 weeks

Diagnosis: Major Depression
    Ii

9. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

Seraquel
    Lamictal
    ativan
    ambian

10. I am on;
    20mg Cymbalta (Just lowered hoping to get off entirely)
    20mg Latuda (Just got on this recently)

My diagnoses are
    unspecified anxiety disorder with PTSD symptoms
    ADD
    Borderline Personality traits
    Major Depression (though this is not accurate my pdoc said that my reaction to the anti-depressants suggests that I actually have Bipolar Disorder)

11. Petal

I have with the doctors approval and guidance have had my valium cut down to 26mg. It will be decreased every single week until I am off it. I hope this will help my memory and body a lot :)

12. Petal

Like myself I am on a lot but now starting to cut down. How long have you been on this combination of medications and just out of curiosity do they help treat your symptoms sufficiently?

13. Danialla

I have been on the Effexor at that dose for 15 yrs. The Welbutrin & Abilify about 4 yrs. lunesta & klonopin 6 yrs. seroquel & ECT for 2 yrs.
    I think the ECT with the meds are a good combination and have helped a lot. I always think about cutting down on meds but am afraid to try. I missed ECT for 6 weeks and that was a BIG mistake. I am back on every 2weeks again..
    Keep us posted on how it goes with cutting down your meds and good luck, your a braver person than I.
    Take care

14. Petal

I am really glad to hear you have had success with those meds and surprised at the ECT.

My ex bf had ECT done in the psychiatric ward and it basically wiped a lot of his memory. He had a very bad experience with it. I'd be afraid to try it, very afraid. I did ask the doctor about it and he simply said no that it's not for me so I took his word and never got it. I am glad you are getting benefits from it.

Has your memory been affected from either the ECT or meds, (just out of curiosity) ?

15. Danialla

Actually no, my memory has not been affected by the ECT and I've been on the medication for so long I'm not quite sure if my memory has been affected or not:).

I know that I am very lucky with regards to my memory and ECT. In fact I have the treatment in the morning and am able to return to work right away with no problems. If I wasn't able to do that, I know I would not be having ECT and I really don't know where I would be.

Take care.

16. Petal

You ARE lucky to find something that works for you so well. You are doing amazing, keep up the good work and keep us updated please. :) Take care.