1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What music player/streaming service do you use and are you on Last fm?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Stijn, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

The way people listen to and buy music has changed enormously the last 20 years. I for one am from the oldskool way of things regarding music. I still buy cd's and vinyl because I like cover artwork, liner notes etc. I never really got into downloading. Cd's I rip to my music player because to my ears, it doesn't lose any of the original sound quality. I began some ten years ago with WMP, I also downloaded Itunes but since I never owned a Mac I never really used it, it just didn't work that well on my laptop. A few months ago I started to have problems with WMP (WindowsMediaPlayer) after an update. I started looking for a new music player and downloaded MusicBee. Imported my library, over 13000 tracks, and never looked back. I can recommend MusicBee to anyone who's looking for a good music player.

I also use Spotify from time to time. It's good to find new tracks and artists. If I find something good, I still will buy the cd or vinyl record in my local record store or online on Amazon.
    Youtube is also a good site to find new or old full albums, tracks, bands, etc . The sound quality is a little off at times on youtube but it has bettered these last few years.

And then Last fm, some of you might know it, some might not. If you click on the last fm extension in your music player you can "scrobble" all your tracks you listen to directly to your last fm account. If you enable last fm on spotify it'll "scrobble" every track you stream to your last fm account. It's not "new" but it's cool. You can browse through your stats, make friends with like-minded listeners, browse through artist biography's, get recommendations based on your listening experience and other features. Btw, I have an account on Last fm for eight years now.

So how do you listen to/buy music? Do you still by cd's/records or do you download? Do you use a streaming service and/or music player. Do you only use Youtube? Do you only use a cd- or recordplayer? Do you have a Last fm account, and if so, do you use it? I'm curious!

Woowoo and Citizen Insane like this.
  2. I love Last.fm, but I haven't used it in a while. Forgot my login, lol.

I mostly listen to music on Amazon and YouTube.

Stijn likes this.
  3. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

Can't you retrieve it?

4. Nope, old e-mail. Forgot that login too. :p

5. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

Call me old fashion as well, but I've still got cd's which I still listen to. I've also used itunes but nowadays like you guys use youtube, which is quite handy for tracking down tunes I might have heard on the radio as as well using soundcloud.

6. Nothing wrong with still having CDs. I have a few, but not many. I find YouTube to be the easiest of all, though. And it's free.

Woowoo, Stijn and Ash600 like this.
  7. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

I used to have the same problem but I have no idea how I fixed it :p

8. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

Yeah Soundcloud, man the possibilities are endless nowadays. I have a psytrance mix I've made several years ago on soundcloud.

9. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

Ok, I'm gonna brag a little bit. I haven't counted them but I think I have +/- 1000 cd's and I think about 400/500 vinyl records collected over 20 years.

Woowoo and Ash600 like this.
  10. Jinis40

Jinis40 Well-Known Member

I use YouTube and download to my phone, primarily. I'm not really sure how to get the best sound quality or integrity and what is better than mp3s. I do buy CDs occasionally if they have nice packaging and collector's items inside but I don't have many because they're so expensive. I don't have a quality sound system to play them on anyways. I've tried Pandora and Spotify but they didn't stick.

Woowoo, Ash600 and Stijn like this.
  11. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

A good sound system can do wonders. I have an old Yamaha amplifier hooked up to my laptop and a pair of solid loudspeakers. Nothing spectacular, but good nonetheless

Woowoo and Ash600 like this.
  12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

On my Laptop, I use Winamp. It's old and no longer being maintained, but it works with my screen reader, so I'm loyal to it.

On my phone, what I use changes by the day. Sometimes I subscribe to Apple Music. I often use YouTube just to find random songs I want to hear, and I use TuneIn to check out radio stations all over the world. I've got an Alexa device, so I do use Amazon, and I've got Sirius XM through the Alexa device.

Stijn likes this.
  13. Citizen Insane

Citizen Insane Staff Member Safety & Support SF Author SF Supporter

@Stijn

85% of the music I "own" are digital downloads from music platforms like Bandcamp, Boomkat and iTunes - Though I only buy music through bandcamp at the moment, it's awesome. :p They got my taste in music / genres and all that.
    10% CDs (which I can also buy using bandcamp) and 5% of my music collection is Vinyl. :)

The best music player is for sure Foobar2000 - It offers the best playback of music (file extentions/format like ALAC/FLAC/mp3/wav/aiff etc) and offers Wasapi, not just Direct Sound, since I have a AV Receiver and also a seperate DAC-Headphone-Amplifier with nice headphones so that I can bitstream the music straight to the receiver or amp. :p

I don't use my last fm account anymore,.. I think I buy like 120+ albums (digitally) a year maybe? Not sure...

Stijn likes this.
  14. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

That's just too bad :p

I'm glad you're still buying music even if it's just downloads. You gotta support the artists you like. Over 120+ albums a year is nice, you must have a quite extensive collection by now :cool:

Could be... I've been using MusicBee for a few months now, still discovering/playing with it. I think I'm gonna stick with it for the moment.

15. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

I'm a YouTuber mostly but the kid is bugging me to get spotify. *eyeroll

Stijn likes this.
  16. sinking_ship

sinking_ship Well-Known Member

I use apple music. I like that I can ask Siri to play things while I'm driving. I haven't *owned* music in a few years. I actually don't even have any way to play a cd anymore. Well, my car has a cd player, but the last one I played was stuck in there for 3 years so..

Stijn likes this.
  17. Stijn

Stijn Innerceptor

I was thinking about my younger years when I had just a few singles and cassette tapes but I really didn't have the money to buy a lot of them. I did have a lot of empty maxwell cassette tapes, so I waited for my favourite top 30 radio show on saturday to record all the tunes I wanted. Ah, the 80's... good times! :D It feels like a hundred years ago now when I look back on it. God, I'm getting old :eek:

sedamDanaLjeta likes this.
  18. sedamDanaLjeta

sedamDanaLjeta SF Supporter

Similar. blank tapes and waiting for a student radio to start playing new music in the evenings. good times :)

Stijn likes this.
  19. ClassicShowsFan

ClassicShowsFan Well-Known Member

Spotify, Pandora, 8tracks, Slacker Radio, iHeartRadio, the list goes on and on.

Stijn likes this.
  20. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Eccentric writer, general weirdo, heedless heathen

I used to listen to Pandora when I was at my uncle's. I have a Pandora and Spotify account, but never really used them yet. I mostly listen to music on YouTube. I have many CD's and even some cassettes.

Stijn likes this.