What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NScot

Odd thought now.
What the F*** do I do if I don't kill myself? All the old crap is still there, but if I'm in another city could it get better? Could I ever be something like the person I could have been?
It feels funny to think about not living in Scotland anymore(just as we *could* be moving to independence!).
The only reason I'm even thinking of this is because of AxiomUltimatum, by the way. She is extraordinary. A couple of days ago I was utterly alone and moving towards a seemingly inevitable end but one decent person can make a difference.
The uncertainty of maybe not dying is pretty scary really. I still often feel it would be best to die.
Just wanted to note this stuff down, if anyone has any thoughts it would be nice to hear them.

aoeu

What you do is seek psychiatric help. It can change your life in ways you can't even imagine.

Psychiatric help + a few new, good friends = the good life.

A

aber269

I often wonder if moving would make a difference... do I blank everyone and everything in hope that ignoring my problems would make them disappear? Or is bottling what I feel the reason I feel the way that I do now? There are so many thoughts. Too many questions. Not enough answers. I'm lost.

NScot

Psychiatric help? Frankly I don't like the idea of it being made worse. Pretendy scientists like psychiatrists are just about the last people I would listen to.
But thanks for replying.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
I think moving to a new city would be like running away.. You would have to look for a new job, You would be alone so that might make you isolate..You don't want to see a pdoc, how about a therapist.. All you do is talk about your problems and they would teach you coping skills..You really need someone to talk to about your issues..

NScot

You damn yourself.
Actually I have tried seeing psychiatrists and found it useless. It was like being treated as a collection of symptoms rather than a person and the only "help" they offered was drugs. It was all presented in a supposedly objective and impersonal way which I found a horrible experience.

I have to say that your smug and shallow response of "you damn yourself" seems out of place in a forum specifically dealing with people at their most vulnerable.

NScot

The above. I don't understand peoples aversion to professional help. You can't possibly understand the benefits of such a thing until you try it out. Being stubborn and/or close-minded gets you no where.
It really would be a good idea to find out if I had tried any "professional" help instead of jumping to conclusions.

aoeu

I gave you the best advice there is. Drugs are the most helpful intervention in the vast majority of mental illnesses - therapy fails without drugs to produce a stable starting point.

You choose to ignore the help there is. You're not going to come out of this alive.

jota1

Actually I have tried seeing psychiatrists and found it useless. It was like being treated as a collection of symptoms rather than a person and the only "help" they offered was drugs. It was all presented in a supposedly objective and impersonal way which I found a horrible experience.

I have to say that your smug and shallow response of "you damn yourself" seems out of place in a forum specifically dealing with people at their most vulnerable.
Take it as an internet response of someone you dont know, in other words take it with a pinch of salt!

I can relate to your feelings about psychiatric help, its not for everyone but in certain circumstances/in the right context it can be useful even if to just give you a head start.
I expect that in most cases the "psychiatrist/psychologist" just acts as a sanctuary where your problems can be exposed and where you dont have to explain anything. i tried it once and I hardly spoke whilst there and then I gave up, just too many "cliches", too predictable and I didnt hear anything I already did not know so why pay for it!!!

You may simply have had a bad experience and you could try another Psychiatrist/psychologist or maybe you have someone, a friend or family member that you can talk to and that can help you find someone else.

Avarice

It really would be a good idea to find out if I had tried any "professional" help instead of jumping to conclusions.
My apologies, but your first response to aoeu gave the distinct impression that you hadn't. When you say things such as "the idea of" and "last people I would listen to" it makes it sound like you were just imagining what it would be like.

That being said, all health professionals differ in the ways in which they help people. Some people have managed to find caring, helpful psychiatrists. If you really want to get better you shouldn't give up.

NScot

I gave you the best advice there is. Drugs are the most helpful intervention in the vast majority of mental illnesses - therapy fails without drugs to produce a stable starting point.

You choose to ignore the help there is. You're not going to come out of this alive.
This is illustrating the problem. "The best advice there is". How arrogant.
"Drugs are the most helpful intervention" There is a large body of evidence against this claim, eg "Emperor's New Drugs", "Myth of the Chemical Cure".

Your whole macho style is the same as too many so called professionals who pretend they know the truth and behave in inhuman ways.

NScot

My apologies, but your first response to aoeu gave the distinct impression that you hadn't. When you say things such as "the idea of" and "last people I would listen to" it makes it sound like you were just imagining what it would be like.

That being said, all health professionals differ in the ways in which they help people. Some people have managed to find caring, helpful psychiatrists. If you really want to get better you shouldn't give up.
Fair enough.

I agree that people differ in the ways they help people, I just wish the diversity of approaches would induce some mature humility instead of the rigid arrogance I have found so common.

NScot

Take it as an internet response of someone you dont know, in other words take it with a pinch of salt!

I can relate to your feelings about psychiatric help, its not for everyone but in certain circumstances/in the right context it can be useful even if to just give you a head start.
I expect that in most cases the "psychiatrist/psychologist" just acts as a sanctuary where your problems can be exposed and where you dont have to explain anything. i tried it once and I hardly spoke whilst there and then I gave up, just too many "cliches", too predictable and I didnt hear anything I already did not know so why pay for it!!!

You may simply have had a bad experience and you could try another Psychiatrist/psychologist or maybe you have someone, a friend or family member that you can talk to and that can help you find someone else.
Thanks for your compassionate response.

I have tried more than one therapist actually, moving to a much larger area might make it easier to find someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00