What part of "I don't do Christmas" don't you get?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by octopod, Dec 23, 2012.

1. octopod

octopod Active Member

How many years have we known each other? At least 10. Have you ever known me to celebrate the holidays? Have I ever given you holiday gifts? Or a card? Have you not listened the many times I spoke about my avoidance of anything remotely related to Dec. 25?

So, for what I'd like to be the final time, DO NOT [yes I'm yelling] invite me to Christmas dinner [you know my food intolerances] with a bunch of people I don't know, give me a present, or [groan] drag me around to see holiday decorations. Please, from Hallowe'en until New Year's, just pretend I don't exist.

I know, I could just say no, but I really don't want to offend well-intentioned people I see regularly, and who I do like.

If only I had a windowless garage I could pretend to be away. But you'd probably call the cops because you hadn't seen my car for 24 hours. I appreciate your caring, but take it down a notch, ok? sighhh

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Good intentions are hard to politely decline. I am glad only few more days left before you have the"cheer" behind you for 9 or 10 months.

Take Care

Ben

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Explain this to them calmly and politely. I think you did a good job of making the point here and without being rude or anything... you came across as sincere and still caring about their feelings. Repeat that with those around you in person. I don't celebrate the holidays either, I never really have - even when life was peachy. I don't need a store holiday to tell me when to give a gift to someone I care about. Gift giving at Christmas has no meaning since it is "required." Doing something for those you care about at random, for no real reason... now that is powerful. It's okay not to want to celebrate the holidays.

4. octopod

octopod Active Member

Thank you both for your kind thoughts. (Cute dog, Ben. I grew up in NYS.) Nice to know I'm not alone in my thinking. Random acts of kindness/friendship mean so much more. I remember helping a friend move, and she offered me a small shelf unit. I was thrilled!

Some people have finally gotten my point; others haven't and I expect never will. I politely thank them for the [unwanted] gifts. Most times the gifts get donated because they are so unrelated to me or my way of life.

I even tried the 'just donate to the [charity of my/your choice', without success.

Even on lithium, the lights and noise in stores this time of year really gets to me, too. Now that's something I can't explain to anyone.

generic, nonthreatening cyber-hugs if you care to accept them [wink]