What purpose do humans have on earth?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by woman, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woman

woman Guest

The pain of this world is so immense. We ruin the earth.
    It is hard for me to believe there is a purpose for us at all.
    Why does God MAKE us go through this world to get to the REAL world (heaven)? Does Heaven even exist or this world all there is? Some say people who commit suicide do not go to heaven. How does anyone know what God will do? Why would God make us live in all this pain? It just doesn't make any bit of sense....any of it. I hate this life and I want out.

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

This will probably be moved to the soap box, but here goes. God gave us life so that we could live it how we so choose. Some people choose to do bad things and mess up the world, while others do good things. We have the freedom to choose. I personally like living in this world and have no intentions of leaving it anytime soon.

3. yawn

yawn Guest

There is no universal meaning.
    YOU create your own purpose.
    The choice is before you today.
    Either evolve or go back to sleep.

4. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

God has never existed. We are a random combination of chemicals and matter resulting in the freak existence of consciousness..We are one of billions of planets and not that important in the universe.

5. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Whatever you choose gives you purpose. Everything in this world is assigned a value by society. Think about the difference between a child running in a school race and someone competing in the Olympics. The Olympics is obviously seen as as having a higher value because society places a premium on it, there's more money invested in it etc. But for the kid, it doesn't matter. In his mind that race is his goal, he wants to achieve it, he himself decides it is valuable. Whatever anyone else is doing, whatever they find valuable doesn't matter. HE wants to win because HE genuinely views it as something worthwhile.
    I think when we get older it's harder to focus on something worthwhile because everything seems to lose its value, we begin comparing ourselves to others, are hit with responsibility etc etc. But I think the same principle still applies to adult life

6. Judika

Judika Guest

All life on earth has the same purpose, to reproduce. That's it. Fortunately (or unfortunately) homo sapiens have brains that are capable of doing much more.
    I once believed that God in the traditional sense existed. However I was deeply troubled by the existence of injustice and heinous evil in this world. When I asked religious people about that, their answers were the simplistic (and easily refuted) so-called "free will" justification. An entire area in philosopy is devoted to the Question of Evil by the way.
    For myself, I have found a spirituality that I can live with in Buddhism. It is not a religion in the traditional sense. I am very sorry that you are anquished. But I salute you for the intelligence to see the contradictions between the reality of the world and the promises of traditional religion. I believe that God has never existed; I believe that spirit always has.
    Namaste

7. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Our purpose is to categorize and separate each other, then kill each other as inhumanely as possible based on those differences until either one mass mentality or one single person is left to die with regret.

Pessimism fucking RULES

8. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

good point

9. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

There is no sense in asking God about this pain or that pain. If there is one ,he wouldn't care becoz God does not know what pain is. He is
    just there to be obeyed whatever he wished for us.

Start probing the omnipotent lies & maybe will give you some answers.
    Maybe nut.

10. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

Why would we need to have a purpose? :D

11. Woman

Woman Guest

Ok. I'm no futher along in my questions and doubts that when I first posted this. Some of the answers are not answers at all, just fuel for the fire. Although I do agree there has to be some truth in reproduction as a purpose and segregation and violence as a purpose as well. BUT the reason we were placed her, under my teachings, was to take care of the world and all the creatures and plants placed here by God. So are we going against our purpose? Are we destroying exactly what we were created to protect? Do we just not care about or neighbor, co-worker, or stranger anymore? Yes, few people do. Most don't. I was hoping REAL people with REAL problems such as me might have some insight, not bible thumpers and clergy. This leads me down the road to suicide even stronger, unfortunately. Hope is gone.

12. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott Active Member

Ok, I have a question: from what, exactly, did the world need protection before man existed?

13. neutral

neutral Well-Known Member

Disclaimer 1: I Respect everyone's point of view even though I may not believe or understand them. To recap no offence intended.
    Disclaimer 2: My state of mind can change like the weather.

There is so much information covered by your original question that it is hard to answer...

1. We temporarily ruin the earth but we are just a very small part of the time line. Even though we would like to believe that we shape the world, we are extremely weak compared to the forces that created the world. Over time we will may find that we have made the earth so polluted that we die off. The balance will restore its self.

2. I don't think that there is any real purpose, we are on a journey where the beginning depends on our parents and the end will be our deaths. Many have the urge to reproduce, further sustaining us. (Is there more to this? I'm not sure.)

3. The God variable is very interesting because depending on the religion we read a book and just accept it as truth or because of our parents its accepted as the truth. We become so set in our ways that we thank God for XYZ or we are disappointed in God because XYZ. Saying that I still unsure if god exists. As there is no way for me to prove or disprove. (just be careful what you read.)

We are part of a massive framework on a scale that I cannot even imagine...
    1. There is us.
    2. On earth.
    3. In the solar system.
    4. In a Galaxy
    5. In this Universe.
    6a. There could be other dimensions.
    6b. There could be other forces.
    6c. There could be other types of life.
    6d. There could be other stuff.
    7. We have yet to discover a fraction of anything.

Trying to look at the question in a more emotional way...
    1. Right and Wrong are concepts made by us.
    2. We are often sickened of something and do little to prevent it.
    3. And when we try and prevent something it often impacts people who are deemed innocent.

As you guys can see, I cannot process this question without starting a very long and complex train of thoughts which make me sound odd. :laugh:

Its time for a cup of tea. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  14. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I"m not sure what mankind's purpose is in being here. But I can't end my life not knowing. I want to wait until I find out what my reason is for being. I'm willing to wait until I know for sure. Whenever that may be...

15. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Mankind's purpose is clearly world domination.

16. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I was really hoping no one would say that... :sad: I've suspected as much, just didn't want confirmation...:sad:

17. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Maybe the question is more suited as this: Is there a purpose of being human here on this place called earth.This kinda a espcape gost for me,as I don't really find any answer whthere there is or ther'snt.

When I see the doG in the equation, the topic is just an irritant to me. O well, something to talk about.

18. neutral

neutral Well-Known Member

We already been beaten to it by....
    Algae
    Bacteria
    Viruses
    Fungi

They seem to be everywhere.

19. Dying embers

Dying embers Well-Known Member

Well I believe that humans are the only conscious, moral force in the universe. As such, I don't see us as insignificant at all! IMO, No matter what size the cosmos are, they are inert and dead, and so don't really matter at all until they become useful to humans in a practical or aesthetic sense. It is our perception that gives life to the universe, not the fact of its existence. So I kinda feel like we're actually living in the age of the true birth of the universe, where humans are making their first tentative steps out into space to use it and truly make it real.

As the only conscious force, the clue to our purpose lies in what we have that animals do not. That to me is: a desire for meaning beyond survival, an appreciation of beauty, and the capacity for true love. So for me, art, love, spirituality and kindness are what truly matters. Of course it is sad that there is so much wrong in the world right now, but I believe that what makes us human will win out in the end, and someday there'll be peace and love all over. Humans are a young species in terms of evolution, so I think we're just having teething problems. :D

I'm agnostic, so really can't answer your religious questions, but I hope you find the peace you seek on these issues. :)

20. Montage

Montage Well-Known Member

I never have understood why people put so much blame on God and never any on the devil.... There IS a God and he loves you and everyone else so very much. This world is a bad place I agree, but man and sin brought this about. Free will, is indeed something a loving father gives us.. What kind of love is it if we are forced? Do bad things happen to good people? Of course, does that mean God doesnt love us? Of course not! We go through things because God is making us who we are to be in him. And to be witnesses to others so we may empathize. God loves his people!! If you don't believe in God and pay him none of the praise he deserves he isn't going to do much for you. He loves HIS PEOPLE!! The ones who have faith without seeing, the ones who thank him daily, the ones who call upon him for help. The Bible says this lifetime is like a grain of sand on an endless beach, one tiny grain compared to eternity! That really puts it into perspective. Eternity not this life is what we are living for. The purpose of Gods children is to witness to as many people as possible so that they too may spend eternity with him in heaven. Christians have good morals, of course we all make mistakes but thats why his love and amazing grace is for us. He died and suffered for YOU! And even though he knew people would despise him or not beleive in him he died for them as well so maybe one day they could see the truth. His love and grace is for everyone, but you have to believe and trust and LOVE him. There is only one way to heaven and that is through Jesus Christ. I don't want to sound mean but Im so tired of hearing people complain about their life and how bad things are and then they expect a God they dont even believe in to rescue them.. So to anwser your question.. I can only anwser as the Christain I am, and that is we are here to save as many people as possible and lead them to Christ, because this life no matter what you go through is only a mere moment compared to eternity. It will all be worth it for those who love the Lord!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.