What race are most people on the forum?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Curiositykilledthecat, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious to know if race has anything to do with depression at all?

2. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

according to Wikipedia & most sources, depression can & does affect all races, age groups, genders, sex preference etc.-it would seem that how each deals with same would be worth looking into...

3. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Yes, I find NASCAR to be depressing. Bahahaha, come on laugh, that was funny.

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

probably racism does.

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Depression and how and what it does to a person is as individual an experience as the person themself. Race, age, gender really have nothing to do with it. Would be better to ask what circumstances caused the depression if you are trying to see what if any connections there might be.

6. Necromanti

Necromanti Well-Known Member

7. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

No, even animals can be depressed.

8. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

My ethnicity is Arab :p And it's interesting to note that while depression afflicts all people equally, culture is a major influencer as well: empirical evidence has found that rates of clinical depression and suicide are higher in "Anglo" culturues such as the UK and the US than in South America, for example. Of course there are numerous factors influencing this, such as the level of devleopment of psychology and medicine in certain countries, but it's an interesting theory.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

European descent, here.

10. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

White and I think they have shown that whites are more effected I will find the study but yes for certain it effects anyone regardless of race, creed or color etc.

11. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

It may seem strange to some for the topic creator to post such a question, but I get curious about these things as well, just for the sake of curiosity. I was too shy to post it. :laugh:

I am sure others will agree with me that your culture plays a larger factor in depression than your race, especially if your culture is less familiar with mental illness, it is more taboo, people have less sympathy for you. There is a great stigma attached to it.

I believe race alone is a small factor in depression, if a factor at all.

By the way, I am Indian, from India. I am pleasantly surprised to see a few other Indians here as well, as you may know that things such as depression is taboo in Asian cultures, Indian culture included. I have to put up a strong face, do academically well, become a doctor, engineer, scientist, lawyer, etc. and get an arranged marriage with a nice girl from India and have two children that will repeat the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  12. hi my name is

hi my name is Well-Known Member

why not start a thread on eye colour while we are at it. not to be rude but the gene for skin colour the last i heard was so hard to find and so insignificant in the codes that it is still a miracle that race is even talked about.. wait a second.. i forgot the insane racists in the government.. and the movies they pump out like gran torino and many other movies that help racism survive

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I'm half English (white) and half Turkish (whatever racial class you wanna categorize that in)

My father was Muslim and from the country of Cyprus (the Turkish side) and my mother is Christian and from London, England.

I am Agnostic.

Most people I've known growing up consider me white.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.