What should I do to stop Suicidal Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Chalcie, May 20, 2016.

1. Chalcie

Chalcie Member

I want to help myself..

But there are times that I am tempted to do it..

What do you guys do to prevent suicidal thoughts?

Help :'(
  2. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

From my experience, I have to have something I'm passionate about or at least interested in doing to occupy my time and my thoughts. Mind melting activities like tv shows and bad movies don't help.

For me, I don't even watch tv except for football and basketball but i watch a lot of that. I'm also really into playing drums, video games, and my cats. When I do those things, I never think about suicidal things.

It's the quiet and alone moments that haunt me. Laying in bed, grocery shopping, taking a dump, etc.
    Chalcie likes this.
  3. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Some physical activity helps sometimes just to get you out of the house or get you focused on something else. I try and do things that will take a lot of thought or energy so I won't really have time to think. I agree that vegging out on the couch probably isn't the best option. Also, you can call up a friend and start a conversation with them. Ask them about their day, etc., so that it can be distracting and maybe talking to someone close will help you feel better.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree with physical activity helping. Also just posting out all your thoughts herecan help, music can help, meditation can help, calling a friend, calling a hot line, there's so much you CAN do but fail to see it when feeling dreadful. I had a rough ight myself last night but with some phone coaching from my therapist I can happily say I got through it. Best of luck to you and you may PM me anytime you feel suicidal.
    Chalcie likes this.
  5. SweetSarah68

SweetSarah68 Active Member

I have the same issue, I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer. Sometimes I just get outside and smell the fresh air and breathe in deeply and exhale slowly. Try to focus on something positive even if its fictional. If you know how to meditate it's helpful especially in the beginning with the deep breathing... something about a large rush of oxygen can give you some relief. I hope you find an answer, please share your thoughts if you do :)