What should I do?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Rooftop, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooftop

Rooftop Guest

I think I may be suffering from depression (wanting to kill yourself is not normal, right?). I haven't talked about this to anyone before. I don't know why. I guess I don't want to seem melodramatic or anything, afraid there might not be an explanation for the way I am.
    I don't know who to talk to. I don't want to be like this anymore. I don't know why i feel depressed, it can be triggered by some things trivial or big things. I often feel that suicide would stop the pain, that the world can do without me, that being dead would stop all feelings and all emotions because I would cease to exist, like being unborn. I have stopped myself from doing it up till now because I think of the hurt it will cause my family and friends, and it has been that thought solely that has kept me going.
    I feel I need to speak to someone. Who though? I can't explain the way I feel, the way it hits me and why - I don't understand it, don't know if it is depression. Should I speak to a doctor - I'm scared they will dismiss me as a hyprochrondriac (I can't spell) and would rather see people with 'real' problems. My friends? My flatmate has suffered from depression, and I feel they would understand me, and we are reasonably close. But I don't want to be a trigger, or belittle her suffering, or appear to be dumping my problems on someone else.
    I need some advice from you guys. This is a big step on me as it is the first time I've committed my true feelings to paper (e-paper?). You all seem like really decent people on here (keep up the good work).

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think you should talk to your gp if you really do have concerns about being depressed and suicidal ideations. While your friend may be able to help you understand what it is like for them, they can't say yes you are or no you aren't. Asking your flatmate about things should not really bother them. It is nice to have someone that understands. Hopefully you would not be dismissed as being a hypochondriac. Do you have a history of maladies with no explanation? Why would you think they may say this. Depression is not something to be taken lightly. A good support system can be essential. Hang in there.

3. Rooftop

Rooftop Member

Thanks for your words gentlelady. I don'y have any history like that - quite the opposite in fact. I guess I'm scared of being told that I don't have a medical problem and feeling that there are people more deserving of help than me. I don't know - this is not something I've been able to think logically about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.