What should I do?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lilli171, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilli171

lilli171 New Member

I'm 16 years old and I've been feeling depressed since I was 10.

I've had social phobia most of my life, and therefore not really been able to make a lot of friends.
    I started cutting myself when I was 11 and stopped at 13, but now I've started again.
    There's nobody here I can talk to.
    When summer ends I'm gonna start high school, and I feel sick just thinking about it. I don't think I can go through starting a new school without any friends, and teachers who don't give a shit.

My old school counselor was always very kind and cared alot, I could really talk to her. She always saw me sitting alone somewhere during the lunch breakes, so she once had a long talk with me and said that she wanted to help.

She wanted me to talk to someone who really knew how to handle social phobia and depression. It took some time but eventually I agreed to talk to a therapist.

So I sat there for about an hour talking to this therapist, but I didn't even mention my depression I just talked about my social phobia. I thought that maybe I could open up more during my next session. But apparently I wasn't important enough, cause the therapist was suppose to call me the next day so that we could book the next meeting. But she never did.
    This was 6 months ago.
    I've thought about suicide almost every day for as long as I can remember. But I always tried ending my thoughts with "things will get better soon". But I just can't believe that anymore.

so my question is... what am I suppose to do if I can't even get professionals to care?
    I just want someone to talk to

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

The most important thing about getting a therapist is making sure you find someone who you are able to get a good relationship with, like your school counsellor. Try not to let your experience with one professional put you off trying to find someone else, maybe you could talk to your school counsellor again to get another reccommendation? One person doesn't mean that all professionals will behave like that. Sounds to me as if they were a terrible therapist :dry:

Take care of yourself,
    Lauren :hug:
  3. lilli171

lilli171 New Member

that's the thing, I don't have any contact with my old counsellor since I don't go to that school anymore.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  4. lilli171

lilli171 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

even if you don't go to that school you can call her up and ask for a referral.
    i don't know what happened wth the therapist, perhaps she wrote your number down wrong, or the paperwork got lost. that's what happened to me at my doctor's office. he referred me to the psych unit but the paperwork never got there. i thought it was a sign that i was unfixable but it was just a mixup. keep looking for help. you are worth it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.