What should I do?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by StephenP, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenP

StephenP Member

"My life is empty."

A line I am sure you've heard many a time. Though for me, I find it to be quite true. Each passing day seems to bring me closer to nothing. I can say I have no real friends. I can say I have no real anything. My connections are only with my parents, but at my age (18) shouldn't I be doing much more with myself. I sleep the majority of the day away, I never go outside. I never do anything. I think there is something wrong with my head. I just want to curl up into a ball and disappear. There must be something missing from your life when you can honestly say to yourself that if you were to die, that only your parents would notice, only your parents would care. At least I have that luxury I guess. The only think that even makes me remotely happy is music. It's extrodianry what music can do for you. Even though it's a temporary happiness (even though I guess all happiness is) it still something I cherish more than anything on this planet. I have no real right to complain. My parents have raised me as well as they could. I haven't particularly experienced any real hardhship. My life is fairly average. Why should I be sad? I shouldn't. So why am I? So maybe there is something wrong with my head, though I am sure I'd like that, the feeling of being different.

I'm sorry, I just, well my Sister is getting married tomorrow and well, it just made me realise that my life isn't really going anywhere. Loneliness and this bleak reality is all that is waiting for me.

Sorry, I just wanted to type something before I lose my mind.
  2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're in a routine and the only possible way to see a glimmer of happiness is to get out of it through action. Stop sleeping so much, go outside once in awhile, even if it's only to get the mail. Help around the house, pick up a hobby that isn't isolating.
  3. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

U dont have to have a reason to feel sad...your feelings are what they are hun :hug: I felt this way when my sister married as well....here if you need to talk more :hug: s for you
  4. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

In my experience you can only get out of such a situation by changing your lifestyle, there's no quick fix. Change how, i'm not sure, but it has to be something drastic. The only hard part is taking the first few steps.

It might sound like a cliche but my recommendation is that you start moving. The human body is built to do something. I've noticed that not doing much will surely plunge you into depression, and the longer it last the harder it gets to climb out of that hole. I heard about some study a while ago on unemployed people and it said that 3 months of inactiveness can paralyze(not literally) a person. I think that would be fairly accurate at least for me...

Start jogging every evening. Choose some kind of a route or distance and push yourself to the limit every time before you get home. First times you will get disheartened because you wont be able to run much but in three months you'll run 2 hours straight on a good day. Endorphins are pretty good for ya too!

This of course wont take away all the problems but you will get a huge boost of confidence! You will also feel much more active and energetic and doing stuff will be a lot easier.

There are also some pretty cool hobbies nowdays which require nothing more than about 30-40 bucks. CHECK OUT THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQ8S1LcioQ
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You should seek a good therapist who can teach you coping skills..Also you might want to check out group therapies..This will give you people you can talk to face to face..Ask your doctor he may be able to refer you..Isolation really sucks.. I am fifty three and have been isolating for twenty one years..Now I can't even leave my bedroom except for appointments..I agree with the person above you should get out and jog..It will help you to focus on something else..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.