What social problems do you care about the most and why?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

For my social problems course that I'm currently taking, I was asked to pick 2 social problems that I care about most deeply. I picked drug addiction and suicide because I've struggled with addiction myself for several years now and also been on the other side of the equation when my ex-fiance was struggling with it. Also, in the city that I live in, drugs are a huge problem all-around. There are high rates of drug use as well as other drug-related crimes, which affect many of the city's neighborhoods and residents. And I feel like the issue of suicide is usually just brushed under the rug and forgotten about, not to mention most people are hesitant to discuss it because of all the associated taboos and stereotypes. After Robin Williams' death, the issue of suicide has come to the forefront of the media, but will soon be in the back of everyone's mind again when the situation blows over. And if you look back at Kurt Cobain's suicide, most people seemed to care more that it was "the death of grunge music" more so than the fact that an actual human being died. Anyway, it was pretty interesting to hear other people's picks as well, so I was just wondering what would yours be and why?

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Well Asphyxiate for me it has to be self harm & relationships which are in fact linked so really they are one issue

As I have posted elsewhere on SF the SH has a basis from the teacher relationship I had aged fourteen. On from that it continued when an ex resorted to suicide & the fact I awoke to find her beside me after the fact. After that there were other triggers but not as bad as the two I have mentioned here.

Bringing this to the present I now self harm due to my gf Claire's situation. Hence the signature down there \/ bottom of post.
    The more she tells me of her past DV the angrier I become to the point when she falls asleep I have to go out either to drive aimlessly to calm down or to self harm. The trouble is I want her to feel able to confide in me anything she needs to; to offload her burden onto me so as to give her an outlet for all her pain. But of course I then need an outlet which I have already stated. When we first met I wanted to sort him out but Claire talked me out of it reasoning what use would I be to her serving time and anyway he is history in her life now so I wouldn't be doing it to defend her, I would be doing it for my own closure.

So Asphyxiate it is self harm and relationships in my case but if that is really one combined then suicidal feelings too when I am over-loaded with emotional stuff

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It would be mental health and homeless people that are on the streets because they have no one to help them with their mental illness and they wonder aimlessly fighting the voices in their heads it is sad how there is no homes for these people no institutions really long term to help them get independant and healthy

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I agree with you Total Eclipse. Most if not all of the agencies offer only short term support such as soup kitchens/night shelters though some do try to accommodate the homeless long term in hostels and even appartments. Though of course there are some people who are homeless who resort to petty crime to get a roof over their head & three meals a day reasoning at least in prison they are off the street which is not an answer to homelessness.

5. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

The most important for me is the right to die - it should be a fundamental and inalienable right for every single human being. Next most important is probably the welfare state - nobody should have to starve to death in a rich nation.

6. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

For me, it is several things. The bigoted way(s) of society (at least in the States). Its absolutely disgusting, and sickening, that, in 1014, we are still concerned about, what people are doing in the bedroom.

I suppose, because I'm a recovering addict, myself, I'm troubled (worried), that doctors are not willing to prescribe patients medication that could (would) truly be of benefit to their overall well-being. Instead, we are given jive-turkey meds, that could cause a lot more problems that what a person started with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.