What Sort Of Relationship Did You Have With Your Parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by boo, Jan 29, 2010.

What Sort Of Relationship Did You Have With Your Parents?

1. I didn't know them.

0 vote(s)
  2. I didn't get on well with both my parents.

10 vote(s)
  3. I didn't get get on well with one of my parents, I was fine with the other.

11 vote(s)
  4. I had a distant relationship with my parents.

9 vote(s)
  5. I had a distant relationship with one of my parents.

8 vote(s)
  6. I had a normal relationship with my parents.

8 vote(s)
  7. They are the cause of my depression.

6 vote(s)
  8. I always was a burden to them.

6 vote(s)
  9. I loved and always will love them. They are the reason I'm still alive.

6 vote(s)
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Wheter we like it or not, we can't choose our parents. But we can learn to appreciate them. It can be awful feeling that your parents don't understand you. More than that, in some cases it really is the case because their goals and beliefs are aligned very differently from yours. Coping with the realities of thinking, feeling, and believing differently from your parents is challenging but you're you, and that's what counts ultimately. Boo recommend this book LOLZ.

So my question is : What Sort Of Relationship Did You Have With Your Parents?
  2. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Nice poll, Boo.
    "I didn't get get on well with one of my parents, I was fine with the other."

Near enough. I never see one, I live with the other and we get on well enough but we're not close. I wouldn't say that I love her but I appreciate that she's supported me financially through my childhood, worked hard to make sure we all had enough to get by. She tries her best.
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

My parents love/loved me. Both of them had distant parents even though the parents were at home. It passes down from generation to generation. I hope I have broken some of that cycle with my own children.
  4. keo09

keo09 Active Member

didn't vote because i had trouble with one of my parents but i didnt now my other parent
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I have a very up and down relationship with my mum but I've always got on alright with my dad.
  6. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

My parents put me through hell for a long time until I turned 18 and moved away from them. All my therapists have questioned my parents trying to figure out why they did the things they did to me, and all of them have failed trying to come to a reasonable conclusion. One did say that my mom was borderline, my brother was a narcissist, and my real dad was a schizoid. I was their little whipping boy, their amusement for the longest time. Taught me the things in life that kept me out of trouble nowadays. If I stole something from the fridge, my mom would take my hand and pour hot boiling water on them one day. Never did that again. I spilt milk on the table when I was 5, she beat my ass with a bamboo stick until I had welts all over my body and my ass was bleeding. I never spilt again till this day. Both my parents and my brother told me that I was a waste of oxygen and that I didn't deserve to live the life they had. We had dogs too, the dogs would sleep in my bed, and I would sleep in the dog's bed.

I could kill them if I wanted to, but it doesnt matter, they are my parents, I am the scum of the world even though I do amazingly nice things for people, I'm still a lower life form.
  7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I live with my mom. She pisses me off sometimes but usually we're okay...

My dad I haven't seen since I was 11 last I heard he is remarried and has another child. I pity it's existence.
  8. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore my parents and my family. They are wonderful people. I am truely blessed to have them in my life. I love them and they love me. Im very lucky!!!
  9. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I've never met my father and my relationship with my mother could be a lot better, but it could also be alot worse. So no complaints really. She's done really well as a single mother with three children.
  10. jhhop

jhhop Well-Known Member

My father was a workaholic and my mother was an alcoholic. They never involved themselves in my life. They seemed to regret my existence, always treated me like I wasn't there.
  11. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I pick the last two options.

I love my two parents dearly and they love me as well. But it also pains me very, very much that I have been a burden and disappointment to them, especially with my depression and not living up to their standards. Their friend's children are all better than me.

Their brother's and sister's children are all better than me. I feel like the sole black sheep out of everyone else. I am a failure to them and one reason I feel that I should commit suicide, to stop being a burden and disappointment. But this depression is also probably making me talk about only the bad things. I have also given them company, made them laugh and things like that. But I feel like the bad has outweighed the good.
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

...odd. My mother was emotionally dependent on me and my father tried to live vicariously through me and I just wanted to live my own life.
  13. losthope

losthope Well-Known Member

They’ve caused me much unnecessary suffering, in particular one of them. I will not express my feelings about them.
  14. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

my parents are divorced, my dad lives 70 miles away. and i dont get on with my mum
  15. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

My parents saved my life, if they hadn't been there then I would have been 6 feet under by now. I was *this* close from starving myself to death, but they saved me.

I feel a lot like a burden to them, due to everything I've put them through. I feel a lot of guilt, though they tell me not to... I care about them very much, I wish I could show them that more than I do now. I'm working on it
  16. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

I am very close to my mother and shes a reason why am i still alive. My father is an alcoholic and i never talk to him...
  17. Mooacow

Mooacow Member

I love my parents, but I feel like such a burden, since they're going through so much trouble...
  18. CloudCatching

CloudCatching Well-Known Member

My mom never married my dad and he wasn't the nicest person in the world, so, he lives in a different state.

I'm on so/so terms with both of them. :T I hate them sometimes, but it's hard when they're you're parents.
  19. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I love both my parents but that isn't to say I like them very much. My mother practically didn't care very much about me or the brother I grew up with so she was always off to her boyfriends leaving us alone all day & night sometimes; once she even dropped us off at my Dad's for the weekend as usual then didn't come back for two weeks without telling us she was going anywhere. Both my mum and Dad care more about sex than they do about their kids but I do believe they love me and my brothers & sisters regardless of that.

I don't get on very well with my dad.. actually, no one does. He always thinks he's right and he's very forgetful. I could go and see him one day for a visit, then not visit for two days and he'd accuse me of not having visited for a whole week. All my other siblings have given up visiting him at all and my mum only visits when she has to, so it's all down to me, really. Because of this, seeing my Dad is more like a chore and isn't very pleasant for either of us.
  20. hurttoomuch

hurttoomuch Member

My parents are good people but awfully 2 dimensional. My dad is laid back and kind, but unusually straight laced. My mom has OCD and was angry, controlling, VERY fearful and depressed. My 2 sisters folded, but I fought for my independence. It's interesting that I wanted to give my son the freedoms and responsibilities that were lacking in my childhood. My ex had to fend for himself early on and was emancipated at 17 so he wanted to take care of every bump in the road. He gravitated towards my parents and I towards his. I guess we want what we can't have.