What stops you?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ~Claire, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Just curious to know what stops your suicidal thoughts, the obvious is always going to be friends/family/loved ones/pets but sometimes I don't think that's enough to stop me.

My family don't need me, they would survive. I am just not strong enough to keep fighting against this crappy depression, I am going round in circles & just getting dragged down further & further. I tell myself that no life is better than this one cos that's what I honestly believe.

Claire xx
  2. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Sometimes something as small as a cup of coffee is all it takes to keep me from stabbing myself.
  3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Nothing stops the suicidal thoughts, but what stops me from actually doing it is my boyfriend, friends, my father (ironically enough) and my job.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

you know, depression feeds us all kinds of lies, like the big one that our family or friends would be better off without us, that they don't need us, or wouldn't really care if we were gone.

if you are depressed, please remember that it is a medical condition that *can* be treated. i also went around and around in circles, until i accepted that i couldn't *think* my way out of depression. instead i had to to take action. what has been helping me is a set of non-negotiable daily routines that have started to lift me out of depression. sure, i have my bad days, relapse even, and yes, i have ended up back at the psych unit since my attempt. but, overall, it is having these routines that help me start over each day.

please do not give up yet. life may look very bleak, but as you can get stronger, and healthier you'll find it's worth all that hard work it took to get there.
  5. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

my girlfriend, my family and that fact i know there is a life out there waiting for me
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My daughter and grandaughter. She told me if I try it again that she would never forgive me. They mean the world to me, but these suicidal thoughts can be overwhelming.
    I had a nervous breakdown about fourteen years ago and even though I am working to retake some of my life back, the suicidal thoughts never go away. I have learned to live with so far.
    Well that isn't all true. I have been planning to do it as soon as I finish helping my brother. No one else seems to be volunteering there help after all he has done for them.
    I can't say for sure that it will get better and the thoughts will go away, myself I take one day at a time. I hope you find the awnser to your question soon. You sound young and you should get out an do things.:chopper:
  7. PaintedCanvas

PaintedCanvas Active Member

Nothing stops me. I've wanted this for so long it's part of me. I shouldn't be here for much longer. Hopefully.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Fearing the pain of dying stops me everytime. Also, my sister and my niece, i love em both to bits:smile:
  9. jlc20m

jlc20m Well-Known Member

Nothing is stopping my suicidal thoughts. But, what keeps me acting on them, is not wanting to hurt my family (including my two cats, Maya and Mira). Also, a part of me hopes that maybe I'll be better eventaully and I don't want to miss out on living. jlc20m
  10. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Besides my kids and what it would do to them, my dog, the main reason is that i don't want to have to come back and re-do this life over.
  11. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Nothing can stop my suicidal thoughts, but why am I still alive, why I am not doing it, if you are asking me that, then, its my family, I dont want to hurt them. Also, Im afraid of failure and Im isolated, and live with my family, so I cant try to do something more about it. I hope soon all of this will change, and Ill be able to end it all.
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Agreed. It's hard to stop the suicidal thoughts, but it's enough to know I'm not going to do it. That I have something I'm sticking around for.
  13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Less and less. They have brief intermissions sometimes but then, something completely shitty will come along and smack me right in the face and I'm instantly right back to wanting to finally die with a great big "Fuck you!" painted on my forehead.
  14. sithspit

sithspit Well-Known Member

Like Lynn, the thought of the pain makes me very scared to go through with it. You might call me a coward for that, but I've really been unable to bear pain ever since I was little. I can't even wear contacts because I can't touch my eyes.

That may be what stops me dying, but what makes me want to live is usually people. All it takes is for someone to take an interest in me - text me asking me how I am, chat to me, or compliment me, and it lifts me up. Maybe I'm shallow and need others to make myself feel good, but the truth is I feel so worthless and can't see any good in me so I need others to see it for me.
  15. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Right now? mostly lack of balls to blow my brains out.
  16. thebrain

thebrain Well-Known Member

Not a lot stops the thoughts, other than your basic distractions. What stops the action is mostly my boyfriend, and the thought that if I fail for some reason, my life will be much worse or rather, irritating (i.e., I'd lose my job, my boyfriend would probably leave me because he'd be so scared, my mother would make me move back home, I'd HAVE to move home because I'd lose my job, which pays for my housing, my family would be constantly on my back).

More of what stops the action is that I'm mildly fearful of dying. Well, I guess fear isn't the right word. Even though I hate that I'm sad for no reason (I'm even a failure at being depressed; I have no real reason for it), I like observing. If I could observe life without having to DO anything, I'd be fine. I don't want to lose that ability to observe. None of us know what happens when you die. The obvious answer is that nothing happens; you're just gone. That, however, is literally impossible for the human mind to understand. We don't know nothingness, all we've ever known are our own thoughts. That's what stops me, I think.

Besides the fact that I'm horribly indecisive. I can't decide anything. And I mean ANYTHING. I get pissed when people try to force me to make even the smallest decisions, like where to eat. So obviously, I can't decide whether to die or not.
  17. GraySky

GraySky Member

yea, I hate it when people try to make me make decisions as well.

On topic, the thought of what it would do to my friends. I'v seen what some one killing themselves is like for the people left behind and I would feel pretty guilty putting them through that. Supid I guess cause I wouldn't even be alive to feel the guilt but none the less.

Also, vodka+smokes.
  18. onlytime

onlytime Member

one time i attempted suicide i looked myself in the mirror and told myself i'm better than this. i have my whole life ahead of me. i can change. i then cried for about an hour. but that's what stopped me. that night.
  19. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I don't know, I have a huge support from my family. I also have a built of endurance from stressful experiences, I'd like to think it has made me tougher and strong enough to battle these demons. I have no friends, but I care enough about myself not to do that...
  20. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't know if you can actually say what has stopped me, it is more like I have just put it on hold. It won't be long before that changes. I made a promise and I am completeing that before I do anything.
    After fourteen years of this I am quite ready for it to all come to an end. I have seen several people get the help they needed and gone on to having fairley normal lifes.The end is near....:chopper:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.