what the hell is the purpose of therapist

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Chernarus, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

ive been through three already and still they try what they call helping me and they just cant seem to understand i wont trust any of em. what sould i do they cant help me but i need to see one for my meds other wise i wont get meds

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I suffered a lot of unnecessary pain by not having the coping skills I learned in therapy. I hope you find and stay with a therapist that you can trust and have chemistry with. :smile:

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You need to open up and spill your guts. They can't help you if you hold back info. The purpose of a therapist is to make you understand what thoughts are holding you back. They can teach you coping skills and how not to discount the positive thoughts. I have told mine everything and she is great about helping me let go of the past. I have been an isolationist because of augoriphobia, and socialphobia. I have seen her for three years and she has me getting out of the house a little at a time. That is a big step for me. Before you couldn't pry me out of my room with a pry bar. I freak out around people. Basically they are there to teach you to have a life again. Take Care!!!~Joseph~

4. slacks315

slacks315 Member

I am not sure but when you find out let me know. I don't believe in meds, I know some coping methods(they don't work but I know them), and I spill my guts on some random website I frequent. So is it worth the money for me to go? It'd be nice if I knew the purpose of one first.

5. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

I believe the same

6. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

My main thought was why don't you trust therapists? What is it that is untrustworthy about them.. and have you ever told a therapist that you do not trust her/him? It may be useful for you to explore these feelings..

7. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

The basis of all therapy, whether it's cognitive-behavioral, psychodynamic, instructional, etc. is the therepeutic relationship (often referred to as the "therepeutic alliance) formed between therapist and client. In order for therapy to work, you need to allow for some level of trust, and the vulnerability that comes with it.

Medication won't solve your issues. The reason why they want you to be in therapy is because the meds "take the edge off" but won't resolve your issues. Therapy, on the other hand, will.

You kind of have to... jump right in. And of course, trust, a tiny bit, in order for this therapy thing to "work."

8. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

Therapists have spent years in training, understanding the human psyche and why we do what we do. They are kind of like... a guide, if you will. Sometimes it's helpful to explore these things with someone who knows exactly what they are getting into. :wink: