What the hell is wrong with teenagers these days?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wibble, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Right, heading home from the supermarket, I've just had to drag two teenagers off a 73 year old homeless man. They were throwing stones, shoving him around and threatening the poor guy, claming they were bored. To see a grown man cowering behind me is something I never want to repeat.

So what the fuck is wrong with these kids? In the hour it took to calm him down he told me they'd done it twice more that week. A couple of weeks ago, my neighbours son was beaten by a pack of kids, one of them smashing a bottle over his head and screaming "I've killed him". The thing is, I'm from a quiet market town, Im not from fucking moss side or the manor or some shithole estate.

So what the hell is causing kids to act this way? I never did shit like this back in the day, neither did my cousins. Am I missing something massively obvious or are we reaching a point where its ok to do this sort of shit?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I don't know where you live, but these type of incidents are reported in the U.S. many times a year. It's horrific and senseless. I'm 54, and overall violence appears to be on the rise, despite statistics pointing in the other direction.

I've seen, heard and read about this for so long, I've given up trying to figure it out. In my day we got our jollies by covering houses with toilet paper, also senseless, but less harmful.
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I don't know what it is either. It's like the argument that I just got into with a teenager. It seems that homeowrk is the last thing they want to do, not eating or something or other makes them so they are bored.

All this stuff is essential for growing into a happy life, and it seems to just be getting worse.
  4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Simply put..sheer boredom. There's nothing better for them to do so they pick on someone who's defenseless against a mass of them. They feed off each other. They think it's okay b/c mommy and daddy let them play the violent games, watch the violent movies and then they think it's "cool" to reinact that shit. The only way they'll snap out of it is 1. fi someone beats the living hell out of them or 2. they reach the point of actually killing someone and they get arrested and put in jail. And if they choose 2. you know they will cry and say "i didnt know it would hurt him. i was just having fun" and the parents will be crying "foul"
  5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Indeed they will, sadly... What's one of the first things you hear when a teacher (or whoever), says "Your son/daughter was relentlessly bullying/victimising X." "Oh, but they're not like that!" Yes they bloody are. When you're not there.

Time to attempt to take off the rose tinted spectacles of parenthood, for some of them...
  6. jeannate

jeannate Active Member

I don't think kids are any worse now than they were when I was a kid. Maybe the targets have changed but not the behavior. When I was a child, kids were picking on and bullying other kids. There was a gang mentality and they all looked for who they perceived was the weakest and attacked that child. They would tease them, pull cruel jokes on them, and beat them up. Back then it was just considered kids being kids. Now because of the school shootings, more emphasis is put on bullying and it isn't tolerated as it was when I was a kid. But there are those kids that still need a target, and since they can't get away with that behavior as much in school now, they have to find someone else to hurt. I can tell you I was one of those kids being picked on, and they were brutal. I have such bad feelings towards those kids that even today if I saw them, I would feel like beating the crap out of them for what they did. I hated my childhood years and that was one major reason why. Plus, may I add, there are more kids now than before and with more children comes more kids that are abused and that are unstable. So it seems like there is more of this behavior than there was before, but as I said, it just changed focus and there are more kids out there. One thing I will add, I know a lot about this. My brother was bullied by some older kids in our neighborhood and they pushed him into a neighborhood pool, and he drowned to death. He was six years old. They had been bothering him for a long time. They lured him to the pool and shoved him in. He hit his head and drowned. The pool was emptied, but it was filled with slimey rain water. Nothing ever happened to the kids that did it. My parents sued the people who owned the pool because the gate to the pool was unlocked, but there was no other justice.
  7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

What causes this?
    I'm assuming your from Manchester in any case, Ive seen the same shit in both Mancs and Notts and I'm certain if you looked into all these kids you'll find the same common problems in each family background.

Single parents.
    Living in council housing.
    Their folks working low paid jobs or living on benefits.

On top of that, cheap booze will be significant in most of this.

As for violent films and movies, if they do play a part its a really insignificant factor.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Nothing new. Same shit, different generation.

Nope, economics do not explain hoodlumism in England at the moment (but I don't have a source, I read that years ago)
  9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

That's fucked up.

You don't hear about this sort of thing anywhere near I live.

My town OR the neighboring towns.

That stuff is rare even in Manchester and Nashua.
  10. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I really believe it has alot to do with drugs they get so high on shit they don't care what they do or who they do it to. Drugs change them into animals. I felt this when i got repeatedly punched in face by someone who was always quiet shy never said anything but because of the drugs using it turned this person into the opposite of what person was. Drugs alcohol fried thier dam brains
  11. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

York mate, Although I've lived in Belfast and Sheffield and never seen anything like that before, not by bloody kids.

Do you guys think part of the problem could be substitute parents? By which I mean parents relying on TVs and PCs to raise their kids rather than putting any real effort in themselves?
  12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

One word..... respect. They dont have any for themselves so they dont have any for anything or anyone else. They dont respect discipline of their own behaviour, the law, authority, the world in general. What they need is a good respectful kick in their high and mighty asses for starts!!! This isnt boredom, or because of poor family structure or even because they know more than likely mommy and daddy will rescue these pitiful shits when the time comes. You cant show respect if you dont have any for yourself.
  13. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Like Isaacs said, broken familys from rougher backgrounds with uneducated children.

It was at its peak when I was at school and all of the scum had the same thing in common and that was what Isaacs listed.

Somehow we need to instill discipline into these children because their parents are failures.

Boredom is not an excuse. It is nonsense. When we got bored we didnt burn things down, graffiti everywhere, start fights and beat old people up. We played football or fox and hounds. Yes social clubs do help, get them off the streets but it wont takeaway the fact that inside the minds of youth is the need for risk, on the edge rush that comes with doing something you have been told all your life is wrong. It just so happens that the uneducated are unable to draw any line. The most "radical" thing we did was set fire to some dry grass and block someone's padlock with twigs.

Its time parents took more reponsibility. If a child recieves an asbo then the parents should lose a significant portion of their benefits. But of course that wont happen in todays world, too many people will cry about the possibility a single mother loses child benefits and so has to turn to prostitution and drug money heaven forbid ey. Perhaps it is time to prevent people having children if they fail to pass a parenting test to prove they can bring the child up.
  14. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I doubt it helps but I grew up on that shit too and never was involved in anything on the same scale.
    As for economic standings having no effect on crime or anti social behaviour, WHAT A WONDERFUL BREAKTHROUGH IN PSYCHOLOGY.
    Sorry man but the one report your thinking about seems to have been buried under 100 years of research indication exactly the opposite.
  15. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

I think your right, but I was thinking more that the lack of parental intervention was to blame, rather than TV and video games directly.

I think economic standings do have an effect on crime, but rather than the level, its more the type of crime. Working in fraud, you'd be suprised how many middle class fraudsters we get, yet very few lower class. When I was with the BBC (Not the TV station, the Sheffield United football firm), we got very few posh people alongside us.
  16. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

It's a wider problem primarily eminating from family breakdown, the rise of secularism & the simultaneous decline of traditional religion, and a debased culture which is hedonistic, narcissistic, & hyper sexualised. In a nutshell.
  17. kbp

kbp Active Member

People have been doing this for years. Not just this generation. They are just letting out their anger. :Leiaha:
  18. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Just ...... and that makes it all okay????? Wow. Tell that to the 73 year old man.
  19. pisces

pisces New Member & Antiquities Friend

That's bull,i know through friends that is not the case at all,i'm talking about kids from so called good backgrounds parents with well paid jobs baristers,police,I.T nusring living with both parents and their kids are into allsorts of bad things.
    Part of the damn problem is toomany do gooders rewarding bad behaviuor,taking away parents and schools rights to punish. In general there's nothing for anyone to be afraid of anymore because the law's a load of crap and only tends to frighten the decent people and not those its intended to punish
  20. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I dont know and have never known anyone from a strong background who does anything worse than smoke weed. I went to an upper working class catholic school where those commiting anti social behaviour were from one of 3 things Issaccs listed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.