What to believe in?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Purple_Thorn, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

I grew up in the LDS Church and my parents and family are all very active.

I am not.

I fell away when I was in high school and haven't "really" looked back. I personally don't agree with stuff and get really frustrated and anxious when people bring up that I don't go to church or I'm breaking the rules.

But that's not the problem here.

The problem is that I grew up in a very active, church going family and was basically torn away from that due to some terrible things. And there's been this empty spot in my soul. Like what I did believe in is gone and I need to find something else to believe in. It don't want it to be religion, but I don't know what to believe in then.

When you don't believe in a god, what do you believe in?

Cananybodyhearme likes this.
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Purple_Thorn, that's a very interesting question you have posted on this auspicious day. Personally, I think people can believe in any religion as long it's kept personal. Religion should not be enforced on anyone but should be educated on an one to one level. When you are young and you have no choice, then fine your parents do their best to bring up their children.

Personally, I have the believe that all religions are like a tree where they are different branches but come from the one root. Yes, everyone has their own believe but that's my own personal perspective.

I have seen many people who compete with religion stating their one is better than others like some sort of baton race. I listen to them , try to rationalise their opinion and in a respectful way say thank you. I try to enrich my knowledge and be understanding. Given, this modern world, I believe that at least we are respectful to one another then we can live side by side in peace. Well in theory.

3. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Purple_Thorn, I am sorry for the loss that you have suffered, I understand your feeling of emptiness, I can also relate to other people's comments about rules and Being Active, I get it from my family still and I am a lot older then you! I do regret the loss, I was very active in my church as well, not the LDS . I am sorry you are feeling the loss, I imagine it is hard to replace, Do you have any hobbies, special interests or things that you have been interested in but have never done or experienced? There are lots of places that can use volunteers or even occasional people that would like some help doing things. Animal Shelters, Food Kitchens, Food Pantries or other things like that, maybe Nursing homes or Sr. Centers like playing games with the elderly or taking some out for walks or just visiting? There are organizations that can be rewarding and possible interest you to learn more about then, if you like children maybe a day care center! These are just Ideas, talk to others in here too, I believe that you could use some counseling also, I am not trying to drive you away, I hope that you keep posting in here and talk to others, I don't know your age, I don't have to, maybe you can find someone in here your age to talk to, that they may have other ideas or suggestions! I Want to welcome you here to this Forum, We are here for you we will help you gain support here and a place where we will not judge you and tell you what you should or should not do, we can give you ideas but we will not tell you what to do! At least you could try a counselor or if you feel yourself becoming Depressed we will try and help you with that most certainly! I I am sure that others will talk with you when you are here in the forum! Be Safe and Take Care of yourself

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I can understand your frustration with religion and hole leaving it has left in you. Maybe you can take a look at the wonders of nature around us. The trees, flowers, critters, geology, the vastness of the universe and just acknowledge that somehow it was created. And that is is worth preserving. Then look into getting involved with conservation agencies. The Arbor Day Foundation comes to mind. Or, like mentioned, an animal shelter. Many areas schedule annual cleanups of local beaches. Or groups take responsibility to keep a section of highway clean. Wetlands are under stress and need people to help keep them clean. There are a lot of 'nature' type things that need help. And no religious belief is needed to understand their importance and decide to get involved in their preservation. Best of luck to you in your search.

5. OnceRob

OnceRob Active Member

Hi, I would say its perfectly normal to question the existence of a loving God in a world of such suffering and crass unfairness. I sometimes think that as much as I pray there is nobody there, however after all these years it has never shaken my faith, I still pray and still thank the Lord for that which I DO have and sometimes I feel peace when I think that this alone must be the purpose of what I consider to be a difficult life. Just because you know the LDS Church it does not mean that you have to believe their doctrine to be a Christian. I was raised a Christian Scientist yet I no longer consider myself one even though my love for Jesus is still as great. I am very sure I understand what you are going through, I understand your empty spot analogy. Despite the irony I think that if you were to pray for faith that would be a good first step, I always remember reading in 1 Samuel of God giving Saul a new heart and I have asked for the same so much because I know that often the biggest hurdle is ourselves. God never gave up on us, and Jesus paid such a price for us, it shows that even if you don't believe or have much faith in God its evident that God believes and has faith in us.

I hope that this has helped you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.