What to do about really bad panic attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by theleastofthese, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

when your Pdoc won't give you any meds to calm you down. My shrink stopped giving me ativan over a month ago because he thought I was, or would get addicted to them. I know he thought it best but I can't stand these constant panic attacks. I feel like I'm coming completely unglued. Like I'm having a heart attack or something. I drink chamomile tea with other herbal "relaxing" agents but it doesn't do that much good. I've gotten so desperate to stop these attacks that I often take an over-the-counter "sleep aid" (benadryl) just to feel drowsy and slowed down. I don't know what more I can do. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Does anyone know of anything I could take to calm down? THese panic attacks have become worse and more frequent lately. I can't stand this.
  2. theleastofthese

The constant and overwhelming anxiety attacks are just getting worse. I wake up agitated most every day and all the breathing and relaxation exercises I do are for nothing. I'm almost afraid to wake up each day cause the anxiety and panic are unbearable. I'm drinking herbal teas, chamomile and such, but don't feel much relief. I'm scared that I'll never start feeling better. I'm just scared to death of how I'm feeling and not being able to make it go away. I don't know what's wrong with me. I've never feel so scared and nervous. I can't stand this any more. i don't know what to do. :unsure::unsure::sad:
  3. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

Hey Least, I've gone through periods of what you are describing. It's awful -- you really feel like you are completely losing it. The best I could do at some points was hug a pillow and drink water (sounds like you're doing much the same). I found that turning on music or the TV would allow for some distraction and gradually let me regain my focus on something... After a while I was able to become aware of when a panic attack was coming on and calm myself down before it happened, but it took time (for me, literally weeks). So I guess my advice would be to pay attention to any signs/triggers right before they happen and mentally talk yourself down from there. Be sure that it really is a physical reaction and that you are not coming unglued.

If it's any consolation, those periods did gradually become farther and fewer between, though for a while I honestly thought they would never go away. Keep waiting it out!
  4. theleastofthese

Another anxiety attack. Feel so restless and agitated I can't relax, can't concentrate. Sick of this happening.:sad: I seem to have a problem today of not being able to stand much light. Have to close all the curtains cause the bright light bothers me.:unsure:
  5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Occupy yourself as much as you can. Listen to music, see some friends, read a book, go for a walk, etc. If one thing doesn't work, try something else. It will take time and patience but you will get through it.
  6. StellarSparkle

StellarSparkle Well-Known Member

Hello Least,

I have also experienced really bad panic attacks and I have managed to get through them without meds, so you can do it too. Besides this, I was experiencing intense depersonalization at the time, which made things much worse. What I tried to do was to occupy my mind with things all the time, i.e. swimming, playing tennis, reading, etc., because sometimes my thought process would even trigger one. As time went by, I noticed that I was feeling much better, the panic attacks and the depersonalization levels gradually disappeared, so maybe you can try this too and see if it helps. If the panic attacks still remain, try to relax as much as you can and remember to breath right and think calmly while having them. Try to focus on calming positive thoughts because negative thoughts have a strong influence on how your body feels. It will get better :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.