What to do if: you can not fall asleep?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beautiful Disaster, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

what do you do if you can not get to sleep and kind of have to (if you have work or something else the next day)?

Tips and tricks can be shared here..

2. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

I usually listen to music with my eyes closed..
  3. danz

danz Well-Known Member

read a book, reading helps me sleep.:trolls:
  4. BlueWind

BlueWind Well-Known Member

I have the same problem as you...

If you can exercise (swimming does it for me) during the day/evening, then watch a good film on telly, read a book or listen to some relaxing music before you go to bed really helps.:mellow:

Unfortunately i must take my valium & my anti-depressants & most of the time knock them down w/alcohol but that's a VERY BAD solution & i certainly DON'T recommend it!!!...just saying, that's all
  5. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

....interesting thread
    it is 4:45 am here.
    if i had valium or anti d's. . i'd take them. lol. with copius amounts of vodka

because i am exhausted.

been up nearly 24 hours.

movies don't get it for me.
    i am thinking a hammer to the head. . . . lol. . .
    eventually will sleep. . whatever. just sayin :rolleyes:
  6. Epiphany

Epiphany Well-Known Member

Try drinking a glass of milk before you lay down. Don't smoke or drink anything with caffeine in it for a couple hours before you go to sleep. And reading definitely helps me.
  7. Work out ¬.¬ Do weights or something, tire yourself out.
  8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Cures for Insomnia.

1. Don't stress about not getting to sleep. Just lay in bed with the lights off and let your mind race about unhindered. Without the added stress, you have a chance of nodding off.

2. Exercise in the day.

3. Use your bedroom for sleeping. Just sleeping.

4. Don't use any device with an electronic screen an hour before bed - no tv, computer, texting, etc.

5. Eat a healthy diet.
  9. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

I have had this problem forever now but it only seems to be at night. I can nap usually pretty easily during the day just can never sleep once I lay down and it's dark. It would be ok if I worked a night shift but I work early mornings through the day.

I've tried about all the things mentioned above, just doesn't seem to help. Try and write down a journal or diary of the things you did in the day or things that are bothering you. Sometimes writing them down helps take them out of your head for a bit so your mind may not race so much before sleep.
  10. BlueWind

BlueWind Well-Known Member

Where is one supposed to have sex then? In the bath-tub or on the kitchen table???:D........hmmm, maybe that WOULD help with sleeping:biggrin:...& why are no devices allowed?:unsure:
    SORRY!!! jameslyons...JUST KIDDING...Your advice is SOUND & WISE!!!...just being an ass & couldn't help myself from posting, tc :hug::smile:
  11. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

I just started a Prozac regiment and my doctor also perscribed a mild, non-addictive sedative called Trazodone. I take one a half-hour before bed.

It also helps to play a comedy CD, no music, just something where people are talking. It lulls me.
  12. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i would totally agree with all this, but when you cant be anywhere other than your bedroom, its very dificult. and when you use your electronics to hel;p you keep from getting to upset its difficult to put them down. and then at times even when you do you dont sleep anyway.
  13. jameslyons

James cure all for insomnia: alcohol.

A little bit will keep you awake, a pint will make you sleep for a couple hours anyway. The good news about this method is that the hangover you'll get in the morning promotes only more drinking. As long as you have money for liquor, you can sleep all day and all night :laugh:
  14. wheresmysheep

if i start drinking i wont stop, and i dont want to turn into my mother but if i wasnt scared of that i sooo would :wink:

been thinking of it lately tbh
  15. jameslyons

Don't do that. Your mom doesn't sound like the neatest person. :unsure: How about tiring yourself out chewing lots of gum?
  16. shades

shades Staff Alumni

If I HAD to get some sleep, say for work or an important appointment, I'd take an ambien. They are quite strong and usually guarantee a clinical insomniac like myself a good 3-6 hours. Problems: it's highly addictive, you build up a tolerance, and if you're prone to depression, coming off of it after using it for a few weeks (or days even) is horrible. If I WANTED to get to sleep but didn't have to, I'd try a xanax or valium. Usually though, they don't work for me, even with alcohol.

What works best is just waiting until I'm completely exhausted but sometimes I go almost 2 days before this happens, at which time I sleep great! Of course, one can only do this if you don't have anything to do for a couple of days...which is very rare.
  17. Regenesis

Regenesis Well-Known Member

I am taking Prozac for 7 months now and it still gets worse.That is why I was hoping to talk to another shrink.To the first I wasn't very honest about my symptoms.
  18. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Come here to SF.
  19. wheresmysheep

ahhaha chewing gum. not tried that one.. sounds liek a jaw cramp waiting to happen imho :laugh:
  20. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I put my fan on full blast.

The cold and noise help me fall asleep.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.