What to do with infected wounds

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Rose24, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

I found this in the internet when i was trying to work out what to do with one of my infected cuts. I thought it might be helpful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5403_treat-infected-wound.html This is the site where i found the information, it links to other useful pages, i have copied and pasted the info below:

1 Scrub hands thoroughly with soap and disinfected water.
    2 Put on latex gloves to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
    3 Remove the bandage and dressing from the wound as gently as possible.
    4 Check the wound for signs of infection. See "How to Evaluate a Wound for Infection." If there are any signs of infection, begin treatment immediately with the following steps.
    5 Boil 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water.
    6 Prepare a disinfectant solution of 1 oz. povidone-iodine and 1 liter disinfected water.
    7 Set about 1/2 liter of the disinfectant solution aside for about five minutes. Keep the remaining solution as hot as possible.

1 Soak the wound in disinfectant solution for about 15 minutes to soften the skin around the opening. Use water as hot as the injured person can tolerate.
    2 Boil a second batch of disinfectant solution while the wound is soaking.
    3 Sterilize a pair of tweezers by rinsing with the 1/2 liter of disinfectant solution you set aside earlier. Sterilize the tweezers just before use.
    4 Pry the edges of the wound open using the sterilized tweezers.
    5 Drain the pus from the wound, wiping the pus away with cotton swabs and sterile gauze.
    6 Probe deeper pockets of the wound to see if pus is concealed there as well - this will be less painful if the wound has been thoroughly soaked. Assume there are other pockets if you find one, and drain all pockets.
    7 Soak the drained wound in the fresh batch of disinfectant solution for 20 to 30 minutes.
    8 Dry the wound with sterile gauze.
    9 Spread antibiotic ointment on sterile gauze using cotton swabs.
    10 Place the gauze inside the wound to keep the wound from closing. Do not allow the edges of the wound to reseal while there are signs of infection.
    11 Dress and bandage the wound.

Tips & Warnings

If povidone-iodine is not available, use salt water or boiled water to soak the wound.
    Gauze and bandages that have been removed from the injured person should always be handled with latex gloves or tweezers, and should be disposed of immediately. The best means of disposal is burning. Tweezers should be disinfected immediately after use.

Continued Care

1 Remove the bandage and soak the wound in disinfectant solution for 20 to 30 minutes, three to four times per day.
    2Thoroughly dry and bandage the wound after each soaking.
    3 Monitor the injured person for any signs that the infection is spreading: fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes or red streaks radiating from the wound.
    4 if there are any signs of spreading infection seek professional medical help immediately.

Tips & Warnings
    If the infection seems to be spreading and the injured person is more than 24 hours from medical care, immediately begin oral antibiotic treatment. Give high doses of antibiotics for at least five days. If you anticipate being in a remote area, consult a physician before you leave about bringing a broad-spectrum antibiotic with you for the treatment of skin infections. Make sure you bring all the instructions for usage and information about complications of the antibiotic with you into the backcountry.

Take care,

2. altek001

altek001 Well-Known Member

i vote to sticky or assimilate into the complete first aid thread as necessary.
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I don't understand how or why any self-injurer would want to 'treat' their wounds!

I mean why do it if you're gonna try and help them heal, thats silly in my opinion.
    I dont do anything with mine, I cant, I let them sting for days, I dont care, thats the whole point and if they become infected then so be it....

Good info for some perhaps tho :)
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to post information that can be helpful to those looking for a way to care for infected areas.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.