What to do...?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by cult logic, Dec 12, 2009.

1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Well, basically no one I know irl knows who I am, or at least all of me.

They know me as a laid back light-hearted oddball, and while that's pretty true it's only like half.

It kind of sucks that I can't tell anyone about depression or my... preferences, but I don't want things to change.

But at the same time I need things to be changed.

Know what I mean?

2. Murkury

Murkury Member

There are doctors, therapists, and councilors that are all bound by confidentiality agreements.

And a whole internet community to talk too.

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

That's not quite the same as having your real friends know. Plus you can't have relationships and keep things secret.

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

God I'm feeling worse about this.

It's like I'm lying to everyone I know.

But I guess I really shouldn't say anything for my own good.

5. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I sometimes feel the same; what little real life friends I've had/still keep in touch with every now and then know me as a quiet, passive, overall content person who reads a lot. That isn't all I am, though. I have more depth, but it's too hard to show it or let them know because things work fine as they are. Everything is comfortable and happy, but at the same time you just want to be yourself and be liked without hiding anything.

Letting people see the real you is a risk, and if it back-fires you have nobody. It's a sucky predicament. :sad: I guess an idea would be to keep those friends as knowing only half of you, and find another group of friends who you can be yourself with? That's like, the best of both worlds, I'd imagine.