What to do

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by texaskitty, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I find myself in a bad place in my head.

Why after years of therapy do I constantly return to bad coping mechanisms?

Why can't I process emotions in a healthy way?

I mean I'm at the point with my therapist that our convo is the same every week. Nothing changes anymore.

If anything progress is backward. Does that make sense to anyone? Having been free of bad coping mechanisms and then going back to them?

I am sad, confused and self destructive, is this any way to live?

I search for the key to it all, the key that will unlock this cycle, but it slips from my hands like water.

I am rambling I guess, its late and I just wanted to see words, sometimes I feel like I'm invisible. Although I know thats not true. My rational mind and my emotions don't get along very well.

Thank you for reading this, hope it made some sense.
  2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Hey Angie,

What you say does make sense. Therapy can definitely be frustrating; I vouch for that 100 percent. Is there anything you can do to not go back to bad coping mechanisms? Also, does your doctor know how you feel about how the topic of discussion seems to be the same-old same-old each week?

P.S. You're welcome, always glad to hear from you!
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I think that when times are bad we reach for old methods of coping because they seem safe to us, if that makes sense :unsure:
    You can break them, but will probably put something else in its place; hopefully a less destructive coping method.
    As an example; Alcoholics who do AA often become heavy smokers.
    Seems we humans just can't do without our props. :hug:
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

We all feel so inadequate, at times, waging a battle as difficult as you have...it is normal...change is slow and we are impatient because it is us experiencing the pain...I have seen much change in you and am very proud of your insights and willingness to engage in supportive and collaborative interactions...in the past, you would have run away and isolate yourself, and today, you can hear opposing views and respond...please know it always looks so different in the middle of the storm...with much caring, J
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi TK aaa i think we all fall back on those old coping skills but you have to look at how far you have come to hun okay don't just see the dark spots see what you have accomplished along the way. sometimes we forget to see them hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.