What to expect from doctors

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jamie7718, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

Hello ive got myself into a hell alot of trouble with the police, to the point where id rather not be hear anymore. Im going to the doctors on monday im also in the uk, I've suffered with depression for quite a few years since my dad died when I was 16. Things have just gone wrong for me since then. Im going to tell him how im feeling. But will he know what to do with me, do many people go to doctors with these situations, will he give me drugs straight away or will I have to wait. Ive just got to get through these next two days. Planing on just staying in my room till then. I cant face going outside.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi there Jamie,

You are making a very brave decision going to the GP. Depending on your situation, your GP may want to prescribe you an anti depressant to help you lift that black cloud of depression. They may also want to refer you for some therapy, especially as your depression started after your dad died. They may also want to observe you for a while to make sure that you are okay and secondly to see if there needs to be any other referrals made like the community mental health team or psychiatrist. It's the right decision to be making and I wish you good luck!

3. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

thank you for replying just what I needed to know. Id like to think there is some light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

4. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I am sorry he died when you were at such a young age.

5. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

Ive never really got over it. I should of gone to the doctors years ago. But ive just let myself get worse and worse, drinking and taking anything I can to ease the pain. I feel so guilty aswell because when he got told he had 6 months to live. Instead of being there for him and my family. I hid. Thinking the problem would go away. I allways lied to my mum that I was fine and when she rings I try to sound happy and upbeat but I think she knows how bad ive got, Because when her to tell her im in trouble with the police, she said "I dont think your strong enough for this are you " and I just broke down on the phone, shes right and I feel like im at breaking point. Hopefully it will go well at the doctors on monday.

6. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Hello Jamie sorry you are having such a tough time, I can feel your regret in what you write. I wanted to wish you luck at the doctors. I have always found it helps to go in knowing what I want from it, not what the doctor will do but what the end goal is so you can both work together to get there. As butterfly said it could be medicine and therapies. But don't be afraid to ask loads of questions if you need to and well I know from my own experience the doctor hasn't pushed me into thereto but had me in tablets to improve how I felt before I made that step and it was really good knowing I had that support.

Please take care of you, and good luck

Rich

7. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

thank you for your words rich, I can not begin to explain my regret. It has been one big wake up call. I wish I could start to move on. But in about 2 months time the police will be back to give me my punishment. Im so scared and sick with worry. I was in my freinds car the other we were just sitting in traffic, and I started sweating my heart started to race I couldnt breath, which I think could be some of aniexty disorder coming on. Its happend a couple of times now. Ive just got to get through the next two days till the doctors. Its my sisters birthday on sunday aswell, ive got to go to my mums and act for 8 hours that im fine. but really I want to scream.

8. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

just out of interest, what would other people on this forum do in my situation, give up or fight

9. nessa456

nessa456 Active Member

Fight. Things can always get better. Anti-depressants can lift your mood so you feel a lot more positive about life. If you have a problem you can make a plan for how to overcome it - this will give you a far better feeling than thinking it's a hopeless situation.

10. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

11. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Do what you feel is right. Hope the doctors appointment goes well for you.

For me there are different doctors reactions to same given situation.

12. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

the doctor I thought was really good, she gave me some meds, going to start taking it tomorrow. See what happens

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hope it helps Jamie :hug:

14. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, I'm really sorry that your Dad died. I'm much older than you and am still finding it hard to deal with my Dad having cancer.
    I saw my GP about 10 days ago and was completely honest about how I felt. This meant that I was immediately referred to the Crisis Team who have been brilliant. They came out to see me at home two days later and I have seen them every couple of days since. A community psychiatrist also came to see me at home and prescribed some extra medication for me as well as arranging an urgent referral for counselling which I start on Wednesday. I was already 'in the system' as I see a psychiatrist at the hospital for what they have now called major 'agitated' depression. It is basically anxiety and depression at the same time. I had been worried about telling any Dr how suicidal I 'was' as I did not want to go to hospital but in the end it has worked out. Anyway like you I am in the UK and I hope that you get the care and support that you need.
    Glad that you thought the Dr was good.

15. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

My step dad almost died back in october aswell. Sounds like an episode of eastenders but he collapsed at my mums and his wedding at the alter. He was in hospital for 3 weeks I felt like it was happening all over again. Hes not doing to bad now but has some serious problems with his heart.

The doctor said to me have I had any thoughts about self harm or not wanting to be here, I was scared to tell her that I think about not wanting to be here everyday. towards the end I did tell her that I had these feelings there was no point keeping it from her. I wish I could erase my past like I was never born:(

16. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

What I find helpful is focussing on the present although it is difficult not to dwell on the past. Try and plan something nice to do everyday, even something simple like a particular TV programme or something else that you like.
    Illness, ageing and loss happen to everyone but I find it strange how things pile up for some people. It just seems like one thing after another. People keep telling me that it will get better and that's something that I'm hanging onto.
    My experience has been that the only way to get help is to be completely honest about how I'm feeling.

17. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

Its not getting any easier I look forward to the mornings when the drugs they gave me seam to be at there peak, probs side effects and make me feel dizzy fuzzzy very much like the start of an illegal drug I used to do years ago when I was in a very bad state. It just something else to think about other than the worry. As I sit here in the dark. I just wish I could close my eyes and I would float away and never come back.

18. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity, what kind of trouble did you get into with the police? My husband's had so many run-ins with cops and an arrest record longer than a restaurant menu, so I can probably give you some kind of advice about that depending on what it is.

19. jamie7718

jamie7718 Member

I very much doubt your husband has done what ive done, but thanks for the offer anyway, Im thinking about asking my doctor if there is anyone I can talk too. Ive lied to all my freinds and family and I cant hold up with lie anymore, but im so scared to tell them the truth cause I will lose them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.