What to expect when becoming inpatient?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by RySp123, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

i would like all that are aware, have experience in that matter to give as much information as possible.

starting from the moment you arrive at the ER ...... who sees you, what happen while at the ER, then how do they go about it? Once decided it is best to be recovered and you agree (or made to) what happen
    (STEP BY STEP)........ i NEED you to tell us the step by step precedures to a recovery. How the registration is done, by who..... then once registered, who -how do you go into the psy ward? What happen once you cross that ward?

-the day you become inpatient
    -once in the psy ward, the first day (what happen)
    -what goes on in the following days-weeks?

tell us of your experience. it will help a lot of us wondering and might make the difference in the 'i'd like to go' or the 'i know i need to' BUT the 'not knowing' what to expect stops or delays one's recovery.

please specify on your post the country you have experienced as not all have same regulations, laws or ways to go about it.

avoid giving hosp. names or town-city you live into..... country is more than enough.

if you were given medication, be generic (been given x tab. per day)

talking about meds., those who were taking medication, were they given to you and left alone or had to take them under their eyes to ensure you would actually take them?

the more details you give, the better outlook we will have on what it is to become-be an inpatient.

thank you all.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

you might want to give further information about once one is released from psy ward.

who gives the 'ok' to go home? how is it the first day? Following days? What impact does it have on a person? How about support once 'out' of hosp.?

Needs, lacks..... etc.
  3. freewill

freewill Member

Hi. OK, so firstly, I am in Australia.
    I've spent 8 months of the last 12 as an inpatient on and off.
    Some admissions were against my will, others were my own doing.
    I'll tell you about my experiences the times I have admitted myself....
    I turned up at the ER feeling suicidal and having hallucinations. Usually when you turn up to the ER with a problem, they take your details, and you wait for a doctor. This time, as soon as I explained what was wrong, I was ushered to a small room ( I'll never forget sitting in that room. It was so tiny. There were no windows, and a security guard outside the door) The doctor on duty came and spoke with me briefly, asking a heap of questions, then decided it would be better for me to stay in the psych ward. I was given a bed in the ER until they could organise a bed in the ward. Because of the state I was in, I was heavily sedated, and don't remember actually being taken to the psych ward. I just remember waking up there.
    First, I was given the 'grand tour'. They explained my rights and responsiblities, and laid down the rules. The head nurse then proceeded to go through all my personal belongings, listing everything I had with me, and confiscating anything that could cause harm. After that, I saw a doctor, who did a basic medical check, blood pressure, blood test, etc.
    The nurses control when you eat, sleep, shower, everything. The nurses become your shadows.
    You will see a psychiatrist within the first few days.
    As far as medication goes, it depends on why you're there as to what they give you. When it's medication time, you line up at a window and take the meds in front of the nurse ( I used to push them to the side of my mouth, then spit them out later, I guess it was my way of being defiant hehe)
    The amount of time they keep you in there depends on you, and how much of a risk you are to yourself and others. I've had stays last just one night, and stays lasting for over 2 months.
    Being in hospital is a strange experience. It takes a lot of getting used to. The first time I was there, I couldn't sleep. Between the muffled screams and cries of other patients, and the nurses constantly coming in to check on you, it's almost impossible, but you soon learn how to kind of block it out. I found during my stays, that the patients would try and 'out crazy' each other, why, I still don't understand. For example, there was a competition of sorts to see who could sneak in razors and leave the most amount of blood on the bathroom floor. I think we got off knowing some nurse would have to clean it up.
    The days are really monotonous. You are woken up at 7 for breakfast. There are two or three group therapy sessions during the day, but otherwise you're left to amuse yourself. When the boredom gets too much, you fake a tantrum so they drug you up, and you can sleep the day away.
    You hate the place, but after a while you need it. Simple things like turning on a light are done for you, and so it becomes foreign.
    When the powers that be deem you are fit to be released, and you've been there for a while, it can be hard. It's almost as though you have become institutionalised. Being out in the big bad world without someone to protect you is scary. You hate being there, but you hate being out. It's become impossible to make your own decisions. Myself, and many others who have been there have gone back simply because they can't function on their own.
    Anyway, I think I've answered all your questions, if I missed anything, let me know :)
    Sorry this is so long
  4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Haha, I know what you mean - I wanted to sleep all the time to ease the boredom. I used to start banging my head against the wall so that I could have some ativan.
  5. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Thank you very much Freewill. You gave us an idea of how one becomes a willing inpatient.

Whenever you have time, and feel up to it, would you give us an idea of how it works when you become a 'forced' inpatient as well?

This will help many forumers about this inpatient issue.

Glad to hear it is not as scary as one might think. Before being all at ease with this issue, lets hear about the other side of the story. brrrrrrrrr? :)
  6. freewill

freewill Member

Hey, There isn't much difference between being a voluntry and an involutnry patient. They treat you the same in the ER, and on the ward. If you 'act out', you risk being locked up in solitary, which is a tiny room with only a bare matress on the floor and you have a nurse watch every move. You aren't even allowed to wear your shoes ( do they think you're going to try and hang yourself with your shoelaces??)
    The only real difference is who decides you are fit to be discharged. If you are voluntary, the psychiatrist decides, if you are involuntary, a magistrate will hear your case and decide, you are provided with free legal representation.
    You're treated the same regardless for your reason of being there.
    Not sure whether you would call being hospitalised as pleasant or unpleasant, it can be both. On one hand, you get the help you need, but you see things people shouldn't see. I saw another inpatient commit suicide, and the nurses pretended nothing had happened.
    Hope I've answered your questions.
    Actually a good book to read about being hospitalised is 'Girl, Interrupted' by Susanna Kaysen, it's really informative, and nothing like the movie.
  7. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Thank you freewill. You've provided helpful hints on this issue. I haven't and cant read but others will probably. thanks again. :hug:

Should others have or wish to share their stories, I invite you to share with us here. The more we know about it, the better and more secure we will feel when it cmes to deciding. Freewill has provided info about what goes on in Australia. Perhaps other part of the world, USA, UK, etc.... could be helpful as well. Not all are from australia so dont be shy :)

Till then, be all safe and well.
  8. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

It's a place where you feel more or less safe, unless some beliefs keep you scared. Like, I thought everyone in my family would be Raptured and I'd be stuck in the hospital and forced to get the mark of the beast/ 666. I started thinking of ways to escape, though nothing was plausible. Anyway, once the medications kicked in, my panic and fears dissipated. As others have said, the patients are woken up early for breakfast, and there are typically a few group sessions and smoke or fresh air breaks. Lunch and dinner...dunno the time they're served; it probably varies from hospital to hospital. There's a rec room, at least where I was, where you can watch TV or read a book or whatever. Sometimes the nurses pester people until they get up and go to group, but sometimes people are left alone and can rest in the rooms. There are no locks on the "bedroom" doors, bathrooms, or showers, which can be scary...some dude walked in on me when I was in the shower. :rolleyes: Just make sure to turn away from the door so no one gets an eyeful. I was thanking my paranoia that I did that every time.

Umm...wow, this post is self-centered. Sorry. I only know how to give advice by going on my experiences. Most of the nurses tend to be nice, and the group leaders I had were all right. Ooh, and you can request to talk to a chaplain of your beliefs if you're religious. For us, the chaplains came on...Wednesday, I think? It's a pretty comfortable-feeling environment once you get used to it. It can seem overwhelming going back into the world, but still, it's a relief to get home. There's a love-hate relationship, but the good probably outweighs the bad. They provide desperately needed help and got me on the right track.
  9. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Very good info provided nonetheless hun.

Be aware no locks on doors so careful showering
    Chaplain availability can be important to some
    Locked yet time for smoking and fresh air breathing

Self centered? dont think so.. you have given many
    useful information needed hun... hug and thanks again
    should you recall anyting else, please post it.

granny xx
  10. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm in the US.
    I was in a 'crisis-center' involuntarily for 4 days, I was in the hospital for 2.
    When I got to the emergency room, a nurse made a rude comment, I told her off. :giggle: Anyways, and they gave me charcoal, did all the medical stuff, transfered me to a room, etc. I was transfered over to the 'crisis-center' at about 2:30 AM, they took my shoes, clothes, the only thing I got to keep was my underwear, and they gave me sweatpants and a sweatshirt, oh, and some socks, joy. :dry:
    I filled out paperwork, and went to my room, which was basically one window(shatter proof glass) a bed that was screwed to the floor, a sheet, and a pillow without a pillow case, gross. The next day they woke me up at 8. (it was a weekend.) And I went out to breakfast, and stuff with the other people there. The showers were annoying, no shower curtains, only a little shampoo, one little towel, but at least the doors locked!(Our rooms locked, too, they didn't want the crazies getting into other peoples rooms. :tongue:) Of course staff had keys and stuff.
    We did some group session, went 'outside' for about a half-hour, and then we were left alone, the only thing we had to do was talk with each other, which wasn't all bad, I met some interesting people..Then lunch, and then like, an informational movie, or something, then more social time, then dinner, more social time, another movie, and then bed at 11 on weekends, 9 on weekdays. And repeat.
    It wasn't all bad, really, but I never want to go there again, the staff looked down on me, for trying to commit suicide, and one worker even had the audacity to ask me why I attempted, and then proceeded to tell me that I'd better have a good reason. :dry: I told her where to shove it, and almost got put in the isolation room for it..Ha, isolation wouldn't have been that bad, they put you in restraints, and then give you drugs to make you sleep. Bleh, anyway, I'm rambling, but that was my experience with involuntary-inpatient. Hope that helped some.
  11. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

It's just useless. I'm in the UK. I was going crazy there. I was in there recently, and involuntarily out of pure physical exhaustion (anorexia). If anything it's made me more determined to never end up there again. I got no help with my eating disorder as I'm not 'sick enough.' I'm top priority they say for CAT which starts in March. I thought it'd be this October. Probably in March they'll say it'll be in December. :laugh: It doesn't matter anyway. I'm very determined to get better and am getting better. I had reached the lowest depths of physical/mental exhaustion. It did help me to stop wandering outside for hours and hours on end outside which I do when I'm not in the best of minds and that tires me out physically, so I got some strength back there. The nurses were awful and I got into a few confrontations with them but other than that the state of the ward had improved. But the nurses there are just awful when it comes to this woman on section 3 close observation who was on my ward. It's as if they don't have anybody to talk to and they use patients as their counsellors and say the most horrifically insensitive things :sad:
  12. patodemuerte

patodemuerte Well-Known Member

Im in Nevada, USA. Im an adolescent so they put me there. When I went it was voluntary, actually. I wouldn't call it a complete waste of my time, because in some ways it helped.

We woke up at 6:30, showered, ate at 7am, met up for our "goals group" where we filled out a sheet stating our goal for the day and how we were feeling. Throughout the day, depending on which "level" we were on, people were allowed to go to activity times. (i never got to art activity :dry: )

There were times for talking on the phone for 5minutes twice a day i think, once around lunch, and once at 9pm. No smoke breaks for adolescents, lol. Good thing i dont smoke cigarettes. Within 24hours a psychiatrist came to talk with me, who said he wasnt really a psych but more there for prescribing meds. He was an ass too. yep.

There was group therapy almost every day, and usually it was useless talk, we ended up talking about what kind of dogs we had one day. Another day we gave opinions on whether a staff member should adopt or not. yeah, not very helpful.

At the end of the day we'd meet up again to go over our goal sheets and whether we had met them.

I stayed there for 9 days and do consider going back regularly, not for help so much, but just to stay safe from me.

The one thing they did "help" me out with i suppose is that since I have been out, I have stopped cutting myself, though I remain quite unstable usually.

Also the PRN/PNR they give work wonders. By request only. lol. Only took it one time (i think, they gave me some sleep stuff to shut me up a night or two) but I kid you not, i could hear the vibrations from people talking.

good luck with that Endinday!
    Theres more to say, because I never tire of talking but that should do for now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.