What to say when I'm asked about my scars?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by bluefish, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluefish

bluefish Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has any good "deflection" techniques when asked about SI scars. I have very visible scars on my arms and I just got comfortable to wear shorter/sleeveless shirts. Been getting a lot of questions like "Oh my go what happened!" by people that don't know me well. Any advice?

I try to lie it off and say I was in an "accident" and then change the subject, but it hasn't really been effective.

2. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

tell them "oh i'm one of those crazy self harmers" and then laugh. they'll think youre taking the piss.

Rose

3. Toki Wartooth Lover

Toki Wartooth Lover Well-Known Member

I have a story.

I was walking in the mall one day. My only friend wanted me to try on this shirt. it was a T-shirt. I walk out and my friend (she didn't know about my scars) saw my arms and said; "Well... since when did you cut yourself" She said it so loud.

Then we walked to the food court. I need some food, I was starving. I had taken off my sweater because it was around 40 million degrees in the mall. I go to the counted and I asked for my food. The person who was taking my order said (word for word); "Sorry, we don't serve self harmer's. Please, go to a different food place. NOW." I felt like crying. But I didn't I climbed up on the counter, sucker punched the person taking my order and yelled at everyone in the mall; "I have these scars because of people like you. I want to die, people like you just don't know how to treat one another!". I got off the counter and walked away. I looked back and people were mocking me.

I then went home and cut my chest, above my heart.

4. neno1

neno1 Well-Known Member

Say u walked through a patio glass window when u thought it was opened, i tell people mine was a shark bite, small children love that, as for that guy in the food hall, report him to his boss for his ignorance.

5. neno1

neno1 Well-Known Member

as scars r normally in lines across the arm, use the patio excuse above

6. Ravon

Ravon Member

My arm is horrible looking. I have scars in every direction, and even a word carved into it. I guess it's obvious to people that I (used to) cut, so I've never been asked about them. If I was asked, I'm not sure what I'd say. Probably avoid the question.

7. Toki Wartooth Lover

I have the pentagram, 666, inverted cross carved into my arm, and I have branded the lords prayer backwards. When people ask me.. I just say none of your business

8. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Say you were in a horrble weed whacker accident.

9. Toki Wartooth Lover

I like that. I'm going to use that.

10. QuadLazer

QuadLazer Well-Known Member

Just tell them the truth. Tell them you did it. When I used to cut and people saw them, I'd tell them that I did it myself. And if have anything to say about, shoot them the finger. :cool:

11. neno1

neno1 Well-Known Member

im lucky, i had corrective surgery to fix my arms, both left and right arms, they now look like bad burns, have u any opportunity to avail of corrective surgery?

ps, u can only get the surgery in uk, if u have actually stopped cutting, but mind u i stayed on a waiting list for 8.5 years,

12. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

well u can play it off or just tell people u dont wanna talk about it. Either way they arent likely to understand and will go on making there judgements on you.

Friends will be more likely to understand. but they too will be somewhat judgemental.

My scars are deep and spread out. no way to hide them with out long sleeves. i get looks but most people dont say much. so people say they look cool. some say i look immature because of it. But regardless i did it for myself and i dont regret it.

13. neno1

neno1 Well-Known Member

Tray, love ur arms, u right, they apart of u, i was proud of my arms, it basicallysaid, hey i had been through alot and i survived,

only ignorant bastards stare and comment, kids are okay, they only curious, but adults can be so cruel and hurtful,

14. bluefish

bluefish Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I got some good ideas now when someone asks lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.