what to say when you meet a fellow cutter

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by morning rush, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I was on the bus today, and it was raining and cold...anyways the bus was packed and so a hand reached to hold onto the same pole I was holding onto, but I glanced up and saw a cut on the wrist...I was taken aback but the person probably saw where I was looking and covered the wrist with the jacket...

I felt bad, the last thing I want to do is make this person feel ashamed or uncomfortable and thinking "omg she knows" so I wanted to talk to this person but nothing came out...and then I thought maybe this person wouldn't like it if I talked about it, out in the open...a stranger telling this person that its okay, to not feel ashamed and that all will be okay...or that a stranger suddenly hug this person...

I say person alot because in the beginning I didn't know the person's gender, I didn't dare look back...but when the person moved I saw that the person was a she...

if you were that person, would you had wanted me to talk to you? I honestly didn't know what to do, and I felt like I should have done something, but what if I would have offended her...what about the people around that might have heard us...
  2. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Well me personally would probably apreciate domeone saying that...but I'm sure I would go home depressed either way.
  3. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

well personally i would have wanted you to talk to me. whenever i see someone with a long sleeved shirt or with scars then it always makes me wonder and want to find out their story and why theyre like that but im always too shy to talk to them, especially if theyre the opposite sex.
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I guess I should have talked to her...I was just afraid she would have taken it bad...didn't want to make a situation worse and have her cut later on because of it...
  5. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

hmmm, its a very difficult situation. i'd like someone to talk to me about it, especially if they were the opposite sex, i like hearing other people's stories and so on, but obviously not everyone is as open about it.

i certainly would never cut because someone showed an act of kindness toward me, which is what saying hello to someone that is presumably very upset would be.
  6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I think I would have wanted you to talk to me. Maybe she was feeling alone.. You talking to her may have made her feel less alone. :hug: But it's okay that you didnt talk to her. Dont beat yourself up hun.
  7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'd like someone to talk to me. Even a slight smile can be helpful. It's always nice when someone you don't know talks to you, that tends to happen when I'm waiting at the lights so I can cross the road :laugh:. If someone saw that I cut or knew something about me and gave me a hug I'd probly start crying :unsure:.

It's hard trying to come across as nice to someone that also has 'problems'. Who knows what she thought of the situation? In the end there's always next time. :)
  8. I would have not been offended if I was that girl and you started talking to me. If I were you, I probably would have just nodded, maybe did a half smile and glance down to acknowlege her and the issue, and not show "approval" but to show, maybe, that I understand or that it's ok.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.