What to say when you want to quit your job?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by lachrymose27, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

I'm working in crummy retail and I have to deal with a very unpleasant supervisor. the manager, although nice was being an asshole at one point putting words into my mouth so i couldn't defend myself. Now i want to quit because i can't deal with this BS. I come into work and its usually the management stressing me out, not the customers!. I've been better with depression after taking meds but since i havent renewed my insurance coverage i havent been taking my meds for months. I dont want to fall into a very deep hole... I need help , advice, words of wisdom and comfort :). I'm going to give them a call sometime next week. Thanks guys! how are you all today.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun instead of quitting take some sick time ok or go off on sick leave until you find a better job sorry they are being such b to you hugs

3. lachrymose27

Yeah i would but i cant take their abuse anymore

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Quitting without lining up another job first is rather self destructive (it will be difficult even to draw unemployment) as well but you know if it is that bad and if it is then you should contact labor department. I would also look into when the open enrollment is for your health insurance so you can consider starting meds or treatment again....

Sorry it is so rough for you right now and hope you can find a solution to the job situation quickly. :hug:

5. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I've been there, right in that situation.

I was having trouble with a group of colleagues and management wasn't doing anything about it - the fact that I wasn't the only one having trouble with these people just made me even more angry. I ended up quitting because I couldn't take the stress and upset anymore. I have now been out of work for about 6 months and I'm finding it very hard to get a new job. Even though I hated the people I worked with at least I was earning money, keeping busy, and getting out the house.

Please think very carefully before you quit because you can't undo it once you've told management you are leaving. Try and find another job before you leave, and maybe ask about a transfer to another store if that is possible. I regret quitting because now I'm stuck.

6. lachrymose27

I don't have a problem with my colleagues, its the management that I have a problem with. They are very rude and no-one should ever have to deal with rude people and go to work all stressed out and feeling abused. I hope you can find a new job soon. There is going to be at least one nice person that will call you back for an interview. Just keep applying :). And if you are working alongside shitty people, just quit and find another job till you can say "yeah, my job isn't that bad. I work with awesome people." At least that's how i would approach it. I'm a sensitive guy and I don't need to have to deal with bullshit and condescending aholes everytime i go to work. Wouldn't it be nicer if you went into work with the generous support of the management and colleagues?

7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Support from management is essential in any work place.

I wish it was as easy as quitting when I don't like colleagues and going from job to job until I'm happy. I'm afraid the Job Centre where I have to claim benefits won't see it that way :p But I agree that working with shitty people is the last thing you need. You spend a lot of time had work so you have to be able to be at least stress-free whilst there.

8. lachrymose27

just an update: i quit today. took a lot of courage especially since i don't have the happy meds in my system. thank you all for your advice :)

9. lachrymose27

yeah for sure, workplace should be stress-free from colleagues... i mean we are struggling to get back on our feet from depression and such, going into work and dealing with that crap doesn't help. I understand how hard it is to land a job. Either way employed or not, my mental well-being will deteriorate. But it will just deteriorate at twice the speed having to deal with aholes. So i feel relieved again, after quitting. i'm just applying to a bunch of other crappy part time jobs now hoping it will be a better happier experience. BTW are you just looking for any kind of work or a specific type?

10. lachrymose27

I am scheduled for a interview, phew. Although I hope they can overlook my terrible business wardrobe. Anyone else still looking for work just keep applying, hopefully youll get something! :)

11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, lachrymose. I just saw this thread and read it. Congratulations on lining up an interview and good luck! Let us know how it turns out. :)

12. lachrymose27

Thanks Acy, I'm hoping it turns out well lol

13. prakash

prakash Well-Known Member

I am glad you quit. When manager upset me, I told him to f......k off and I quit. I never felt as good as at that time.
    I am retired because I quit my job that was bringing me 100K per year.
    I never felt as good as now when I dont have to take stress at work.
    Last year I shouted at my manager who was trying to boss me around. I told him to go stick it.
    I felt so proud of myself.

14. lachrymose27

update: The interview went ok, I fumbled some words. But I have another interview lined up at another location. Second chance.

Awesome man. Wish I could do the same, but i was only working a measly 8 per hour lol. Its good you stood up for yourself. You shouldn't be bossed around like that!

15. prakash

prakash Well-Known Member

Hope you get a new job. I dont recommend that you do like me. Sometimes we have to tolerate insults to keep our job. But when a booss was bad, I quit and got another job. I only told my boss to f....k off when I had become financially independent. Aim to become financially independent, my friend!!! God bless you !!!!

16. lachrymose27

Thank you!! I got it. You're totally right about becoming financially independent - which is why I'm working on app development. A quote from the movie World War Z - "There is no room for non-existential people"... which is sooo true in this dog eat dog world...

17. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

lachrymose, CONGRATULATIONS! Well done! :hug:

18. lachrymose27

Thanks Acy. I hope everyone on this forum who are also lookin for work get the same luck as i do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.