What to say...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by AlaskanIce, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

I'm gibing this another, possibly last try. Haven't been comfortable with any therapist/counselor. Save for the first one, but that was temporary. Finally picked up the phone yesterday and called yet another place. Haven't told them much over the phone so they will see me. Had to say no to some of the questions, like haven't told them of my overnight stay at the hospital once. Or my pain medications. When asked why I was calling, I said only 'depression.'Don't want to scare them off because I don't want to go through the questionnaire thing any more after this.

Do I keep going to them just because? I'm running out of places to go to. I don't know if I'm looking forward to or dreading the appointment at this new place.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Only way to find out is to try it, it's worth a try in a new environment :) Wishing you all the very best with it - they probably will have a questionnaire, be prepared for it just in case. Hope it all goes well for you :)

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am sorry you are having a hard time finding a place that suits your needs, but I might offer a couple suggestions as to why it seems to be so difficult. As son as possible you really need to be straightforward about answering their questions. Things like pain relievers they ask about because if their is a dependency/addiction issue (and I am not implying you do at all) some places have training and experience treating co-existing conditions of dependency and depression and some do not. Also withholding information about previous hospitalizations may make them think they have the training or ability to treat you when they simply do not. If While I understand the frustration in trying to get an appointment at all, getting the appointment with somebody not qualified to treat or help you by withholding information is unlikely to have a positive end result. If that is the only way you can get the appt then when you get to the appt make it clear what all is going on and that your really just want some help so can they try to work with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.