What was your reaction when this happened? Where were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloverachel

An outcast, forgotten and excluded by society
I remember this day like it was yesterday. The whole bar was jumping up cheering. An unforgettable moment in MMA. Biggest fight in history. I like Conor as a fighter but it was so satisfying seeing him get humbled, especially after all that trash talk leading up and the bus attack etc
1591753532023.png
1591753480963.png

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
I was sitting in front of my TV-“” having just come home from work & splurging on the PPV - as we dumb Americans are known to do (too dumb to find illegal steam - though someon on here once offered to send me a link! ;))~ And I remember thinking: this is a waste; or a rip-off, b/c the second he let him in on his lower legs or ankles, and didn’t disengage — (I believe his coach said the next day on joe rogan, that he thought 💭 he’d “just wanted to taste it—referring to his power or grappling prowess.”) what an idiot ! You deserve to lose if you have bad strategy or execution in a championship level fight. Especially one as hyped as this! I knew what we were in store for after that. Up until the goth ended. As you say, “when all Bell broke lose...;)

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Oh! I guess you didn’t say that! I did . z : (must’ve been putting words in other people’s mouths again, sorry for that!)! ;^)

iloverachel

I was sitting in front of my TV-“” having just come home from work & splurging on the PPV - as we dumb Americans are known to do (too dumb to find illegal steam - though someon on here once offered to send me a link! ;))~ And I remember thinking: this is a waste; or a rip-off, b/c the second he let him in on his lower legs or ankles, and didn’t disengage — (I believe his coach said the next day on joe rogan, that he thought 💭 he’d “just wanted to taste it—referring to his power or grappling prowess.”) what an idiot ! You deserve to lose if you have bad strategy or execution in a championship level fight. Especially one as hyped as this! I knew what we were in store for after that. Up until the goth ended. As you say, “when all Bell broke lose...;)
Khabib is a world champion Sambo grappler. It would be hard for Conor to disengage it, since conor has bad grappling and wrestling.
The first round was pretty boring though. Second round was awesome

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Ah, yes! You may very well be perfectly correct—(I haven’t watched it in awhile), but my recollection was that the initial take down attempt was out in the open and low, so I remembered thinking he could just pull his foot / leg out; but you may be right, I’ll have to watch it again (I tend to remember this a lot like the Floyd Manny debacle in terms of letdowns. . but that’s because I had higher hopes for a more competitive endeavor) // that said, it’s probably good of Conor to have lasted as long as he did - given the way the fight was going, and etc. But I agree, If you love Khabib or hate Conn-man, it was about as great as it could possibly/realistically get! There’s another thing too: I’ve probably been brainwashed a bit listening to all of Sonnen’s rant s on how all of his takedowns come against the cage -/- as his coach said in a recent interview, just because he doesn’t do somethjng; doesn’t mean he can’t )&!m he was refer ring to his standup I believe . . : D

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Although I have studied some Jui Jitsu(I stopped worrying about the spelling of the name with there so many of them for that martial) I always wanted to learn more like Sambo, Pancrase, Shootfighting, Wrestling(not pro 'rasslin') and that fall into that aspect of martial arts with the grappling and ground fighting. I have learned a fair amount of Krav Maga over the years.

iloverachel

Although I have studied some Jui Jitsu(I stopped worrying about the spelling of the name with there so many of them for that martial) I always wanted to learn more like Sambo, Pancrase, Shootfighting, Wrestling(not pro 'rasslin') and that fall into that aspect of martial arts with the grappling and ground fighting. I have learned a fair amount of Krav Maga over the years.
I have done a few wrestling classes in the past, its pretty tough but fun. Extremely tiring, but rewarding. Definitely a huge factor in doing good in mixed martial arts is having ground game, (wrestling and jiu jitsu).

iloverachel

Ah, yes! You may very well be perfectly correct—(I haven’t watched it in awhile), but my recollection was that the initial take down attempt was out in the open and low, so I remembered thinking he could just pull his foot / leg out; but you may be right, I’ll have to watch it again (I tend to remember this a lot like the Floyd Manny debacle in terms of letdowns. . but that’s because I had higher hopes for a more competitive endeavor) // that said, it’s probably good of Conor to have lasted as long as he did - given the way the fight was going, and etc. But I agree, If you love Khabib or hate Conn-man, it was about as great as it could possibly/realistically get! There’s another thing too: I’ve probably been brainwashed a bit listening to all of Sonnen’s rant s on how all of his takedowns come against the cage -/- as his coach said in a recent interview, just because he doesn’t do somethjng; doesn’t mean he can’t )&!m he was refer ring to his standup I believe . . : D
Yeah it may appear easy to get out of it when you watch, but someone as good as Khabib would be hard to just pull out of. Conor is a talented striker and bad wrestler there is no way he would want to fight on the ground if he didnt have to.

The only time Conor went for a take down was when nate was busting him up and he panicked and wrestled.

Agreed that the fight was awesome if you dislike Conor. I did hope it would be more competitive. Conor barely won round 3 and thats striking only

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I have done a few wrestling classes in the past, its pretty tough but fun. Extremely tiring, but rewarding. Definitely a huge factor in doing good in mixed martial arts is having ground game, (wrestling and jiu jitsu).
That is too true. I am black belt level in Hapkido, Tai Chi, Escrima/Kali a martial art most have never even heard of but taught in this area, and a little under that level in Krav Maga and a couple of years in Jiu Jitsu. I would love to learn more grappling and ground fighting styles. It can be a help when a guy is 5'6 and 160 pounds or so. Great to hear from another into such.

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
I agree with everything you say. Again my recollection may be faulty—& it may not matter any way, as I don’t understand the finer details and technical points of grappling very well, nor have I ever trained. But I thought after the initial attempt by Khabib, Conor could have tried to escape, and maybe for a Brief moment or instant he did - but then I thought he sort of dove back into him and tried to see what there wa sto see there (& we all saw how that turned out!)... he may very well have realized precisely what you say, that he was stuck and he had no choice but to try to take the offensive. I’d really like to see him fight GSP. If he’s anything like his old self (no guarantees- has fought like once since his beating by Hendricks - well I know he didn’t technically loose..;)) he is going to provide a stylistic nightmare for him. Best thing for Khabib wood be to keep waiting for him to get older and older, and then make him come in emancipated at your weight class!

iloverachel

I agree with everything you say. Again my recollection may be faulty—& it may not matter any way, as I don’t understand the finer details and technical points of grappling very well, nor have I ever trained. But I thought after the initial attempt by Khabib, Conor could have tried to escape, and maybe for a Brief moment or instant he did - but then I thought he sort of dove back into him and tried to see what there wa sto see there (& we all saw how that turned out!)... he may very well have realized precisely what you say, that he was stuck and he had no choice but to try to take the offensive. I’d really like to see him fight GSP. If he’s anything like his old self (no guarantees- has fought like once since his beating by Hendricks - well I know he didn’t technically loose..;)) he is going to provide a stylistic nightmare for him. Best thing for Khabib wood be to keep waiting for him to get older and older, and then make him come in emancipated at your weight class!
I think GSP would destroy conor even at his ag3
Way too big
Way more skiller
10x better at wrestling
Would be fun to watch though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00