• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

What was your turning point?

What finally clicked for people? Was it a med, therapy, etc.... when did you finally say I think I will stay? I do not want to end my life and hurt the people I love. What made the difference? I live with such guilt and shame and I know there is no med for that but there has to be something that quiets them.
Thanks....

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
Over time I've learned how to deal with my emotions better, largely due to constant effort on my part to be more accepting and compassionate towards myself than I am by default. A coping mechanism I use is to pretend I am someone who loves me and talk to myself as if I weren't me. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Shelly

felt my life was heading nowhere, everything's pointless, i had no purpose, i dont make a difference and i'm a waste of space, no one needed me.

then the strays started getting sick, kittens started showing up, they need help, they need support, a fighting chance to live...
people ignored them, told me it's no use and just let nature take it's course...
in a way i saw myself in those cats, abandoned, unwanted, people only like them when they're of convenience/good use.
i wanted them to feel loved, that not all hope is lost, and that they're worth saving, because i myself needed someone like that in my life also... if i cant find one, then i'll be that person.

i see them survive, thrive, and be happy.
They wait for me, they want to be with me unconditionally, they make me feel loved, make me feel wanted, like i have a purpose... so i decided to stay...

am i out of the woods? not necessarily, there will be days i want to go, but they make this world bearable to me, so i'm still here.

MosesY

Functioning Alcoholic
For me it was a combination of medication and caring about other people. I am on Latuda as an anti psychotic, Lithium to even my moods out, and Lamotrogine as an anti-depressant. I am on two other meds to lessen the side effects of the other meds. I learned to care about other people. My heart was hard and I became aware that I had to soften it. I care about people now; before I didn't.

The turning point for me was when I was in hospital and my parents moved back home from abroad.
For me it was a combination of medication and caring about other people. I am on Latuda as an anti psychotic, Lithium to even my moods out, and Lamotrogine as an anti-depressant. I am on two other meds to lessen the side effects of the other meds. I learned to care about other people. My heart was hard and I became aware that I had to soften it. I care about people now; before I didn't.
That is great that you have found success...I am always curious as to how meds help....I guess because they have not helped me...yet.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
meds help me to some degree. i think about suicide usually in passing and sometime a little more due to pain. but when i almost died in the hospital and saw the faces of my family, he took it the hardest. i stay for my family and SF. also afraid of hell. but the turning point for me was when someone i respect said something that bothered me made me evaluate myself. i turned around and i try to be positive more now...mike

meds help me to some degree. i think about suicide usually in passing and sometime a little more due to pain. but when i almost died in the hospital and saw the faces of my family, he took it the hardest. i stay for my family and SF. also afraid of hell. but the turning point for me was when someone i respect said something that bothered me made me evaluate myself. i turned around and i try to be positive more now...mike
Good for you Mike. I am still looking for that right med. There are days that I just want to say to hell with the meds as some made me worse! Glad you are better...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00