What we lose when we die?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by touglytobeloved, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Do we really loose when we are dying? I speak generally, when a man dies, what is he goiing to lose? He loses his life, his future... But how can he lose that when he is dead, he doesnt know and feel anything, and he is not aware of his lost? I think that when a man dies, he doesnt lose nothing, but people around him have to live without him, so I think they are really loosing something... they are loosing him... Do we have to feel sorry about those who die, or about those who stay after someones death?
  2. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

We don't lose anything that we'll miss after we're gone :smile:
  3. man

man Well-Known Member

That's a good point, I wish that I would not be sad when people die but instead just understand that life is change, its so unatural to just understand and not be sad when someone dies, as for what he loses, loss is just a mental thing to me because we can never really posses anything, plus in my view we never go away because we never are. If you think about it as far as we know matter is never created or destroyed, so when we die our matter is just recycled out into the universe, what we are now is not what we are tommorow, the atoms that make up your body change all the time, its like we are this strange creation fighting against time, but in the end its just like we are all the same pool of matter swirling around, its just sad to know who I am and who I know will all be forgoten in the end, makes me feel so small but who cares do what you love and kick ass in life, sorry for rambling on and on. Its an interesting subject.
  4. RosiePosie

RosiePosie Member

It's certainly the people we leave behind who are losing.
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

funny you ask this question, i was recently thinking about what i might lose had i succeeded on my last attempt -- i would never see friends again, nor my father. i will never travel to all the places that captured my imagination, and would never have seen an ice storm and how it coats the trees, or see my nephews graduate. there is all kinds of art i have yet to make. those would be my losses.

my family and friends would have the greater loss.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

He isn't dead. He isn't anything. What he was is now gone forever. This is what makes suicide such a complicated thing. It isn't a rational choice. Everybody wants to live when it comes right down to it (whether they realize it or not).
  7. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

It seems like such a waste. We are only given one life, and when its gone its gone. There are no second chances.
    Its a pity that so many people have to face such overwhelming problems that life becomes unbearable.
    If only we had it easy like the animals -- no thoughts, just life.
  8. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

So the same is true for anyone's death

If all deaths are a waste

And all lives amount to nothing in the end

Then was anything worth it?

9. touglytobeloved

Yeah, but, we are sad when someone dies because we have lost something, we have lost HIM, but the fact is he doesnt lost anything, only we have lost.
  10. touglytobeloved

Your family and friends........ they would have the greater loss, true.
    And about your loss... You are thinking from this point that you will loose all of these things you have mentioned, and its true. But, from other perspective, you are gone when you die, and you are not aware of your loss.
    Loss is some kind of an emotion, a mental state, and when you are dead you cant think or feel.
    Anyway, its nice if you think you have so much things to do before you die, and I hope all of that will come true for you.
  11. touglytobeloved

We have only one life... And than there is nothing... So, if our life is nice and beautifull, we should use the oportunity to experience everything what our life is offering to us. But, if we have nothing to live for... Why not just die? We are not loosing nothing (im not talking generally, i speak for myself)
  12. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Unless there's a Hell. Then we lose our chance to get out of it.
  13. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not very good at pro-life arguments. Life usually sucks.

Anyway, I was sitting down by the river today, not thinking about any problems, just feeling the sun on my skin, and the cool breeze, and watching the boats sailing by. And thinking this is nice.
    Its not life in the general sense, but moments can still be pleasant to live.
  14. touglytobeloved

True. For me, life sucks.

There are some pleasant moments, like you said, the sun by the river, but these things can not fill our lifes... They are... just a moments... A spots in the sky, its hard to find them...
  15. touglytobeloved

Im thinking sometimes, life is nice (when Im watching nice things, nice moments and events happening to the people). But in the next moment, i think, yeah, life is nice, but not for me, I have never had and I will never have this.
  16. nolove89

nolove89 Active Member

What do you want out of Life that will make it worth living?
  17. touglytobeloved

As I mentioned in my previous threads and posts, all I need in my life is LOVE. I dont need anything else.
  18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Its interesting to consider the potentionally liberating exerpience of death...the lack of pain, misery, hatred, worry...all the things that make life difficult, even self-awareness itself, all theoretically ceases.

Then again...can one now argue that those terrible things are what make life, in some way, fullfilling?
  19. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

When we die we lost our names & was left are memories by the people we touch ,love & care along our journey.

Other than that pretty much a dust in the soil where plants can grow,people can walk . And the cycle continues.........
  20. theothermask

theothermask Member

Particulary I don't lose a thing. I don't believe in god (thus neither in heaven nor hell), and I think that most important in dying is the moment before my brain shuts down. What I think, feel and do (besides actions that wounds my body) in those last seconds. Thats is why I still can't do it - I am afraid of fear in this last moment; when blood is rushing out and suddenly I want to prolong my living misery. Despite I probably will kill myself later anyways.

About others... well, in my case i am confused in my thoughts - on one hand I know they always miss people when they die, but on the other, i think i am not worth tears cried at my funeral. dunno...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.