What We're Scared Of {The Truth Behind Homelessness}

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by KathyLynnKilroy, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KathyLynnKilroy

KathyLynnKilroy Active Member

Imagine you are homeless.

You sleep on a park bench when it's dry, but if it's raining, you have to huddle on an ant covered sidewalk and try to sleep under a bridge.

Imagine you need to go to the bathroom, and there's no safe place to go.

You worry that you'll be attacked because you have been attacked in the past when you were homeless.

You worry about being robbed because you have been robbed in the past when you were homeless.

You worry about being raped because you were raped before while you were homeless.

Now imagine that you are homeless with the most important person in the whole world to you.

Imagine huddling close to them at night, hoping that you can protect them from whatever may come your way.

Imagine holding them close as they shiver and cry because it's so cold and you don't have any place to take them away from the elements.

Imagine the possibility of being held by a group of assailants, forced to watch as your loved one is assaulted or raped in front of you. Imagine their screams, cries of terror and pain, tears and possibly even their shame.

Now know that the shelters are just as dangerous, only they decide that you and your loved one can not be together. So imagine life in a shelter, where all these things happen to each of you seperately, and there is nothing you can do to help nor comfort the other.

These is all the glorious things we have to look forward to.

For some reason, neither of us wants to live through any of these things.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that things are seeming so bad right now that you might end up homeless.

I saw on your other thread that you have three weeks and then will be thrown out. What country are you in?

What about hostels, are they safe?

Could you afford to both rent and share a room in a group house?

Have you got any family or friends that you could stay with?

Hang in there

3. KathyLynnKilroy

We live in a room as it is. We can pay for rent weekly, and a friend living with us is helping us pay the rent. If we did not have him, we would have one week less, actually.

We have no family close by. We fled life in a small town because the town is full upstanding christians who don't tolerate people of color, alternative religions, nor alternative lifestyles. Oh, they don't tolderate the KKK, either. Bless their good, christian hearts!

We have a friend who is willing to take us in. Thing is, it will only cost us US$400.00 we don't have to get to them.

Our income evaporated because the government beauracracy screwed up and blamed it on us. So we've been without income since February. It amazes this one we've been able to hold out this long.

We had three additional weeks, but after long discussion, it was decided that we had to maintain our ability to communicate in hopes that in the time we have left we could cultivate new options.

It's always better to keep options open than to take the safe route and close up all possible means of escape.

4. KathyLynnKilroy

Oh. This one forgot to answer the country question.

We live in the United States. In Florida, actually.

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what I could suggest to help with the laws and stuff, I could suggest things if you are in the UK, but that's not helpful, lol.

Could you maybe ask your friend to pay the fee for you to get there, and when you get there get any job asap and then start paying it back. Work out some sort of payment plan that can accommodate both your incomes.

I cna't imagine the stress that you are under right now.

Keep hanging in there

6. KathyLynnKilroy

You know, a jar of Marmite would make a marvelous gift. :D We'd feel glorious if you could send us one. ;)

7. run4fun

run4fun Well-Known Member

hang in there. i really hope you make it. keep in touch with us. what is marmite?

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

ok, marmite, thats a truly random comment.

Google marmite run4fun and it will show you.

9. KathyLynnKilroy

If you don't know, then you don't know what you're missing out on. :tongue:

10. KathyLynnKilroy

Well, we're like almost out of Marmite. The last jar we had had to be purchased from a friend. GHAH! :eek:hmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.