what were the signs of your parents splitting up?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by lilella44, Mar 30, 2008.

1. lilella44

lilella44 Well-Known Member

my dad wont be under the same roof as my mum anymore... she said they havent split up but i'm scared they will.
    what were the signs that your parents were going to split up?

2. Squire

Squire Active Member

When it'd been 3 years since I last heard them say "I love you." to each other.

3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

They stopped having sex, slept in different rooms (said it was because he snored), and although I knew my mom had issues with what my dad was doing, she didn't bring it up. Basically I noticed a lack of communication and neither person's needs were being met.

Sorry, by the way, parents breaking up is at the least highly inconvenient and at the worst, devastating.

4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

err, my mom slept upstairs and my dad slept down
    the constant threats of moving out
    the last day they were together she slapped him across the face in a drunken haze and my dad said it was over. I was relieved b/c they were living seperate lives anyways.

5. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

My parents never married, they have hated each other since I can remember. The great thing though is that we all still live under the same roof!

Every day is a good time.

6. I remember when I lived in Florida with my father and my former stepmother. I'd be asleep, then around the early morning hours, I'd wake up from hearing him snore. He'd be asleep on the couch in the living room. I thought that he slept there because of him not wanting to wake her up by going into their bedroom after he arrived home from work late night. I found out years later, that she didn't want to sleep with him anymore.

7. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

My parents barely communicated with each other unless it was arguing. I hardly ever, maybe never heard the words "I love you" come out of either of their mouths.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think I knew since I was real young that they were going to split up but it only happened last summer.
    They were terrible for each other. My mom likes to go out with friends and have fun and my Dad likes to stay in and hated that my Mom went out. It was a terrible situation. We were all happy that my Mom left.

9. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

The first hint I had was when some guy wearing a suit, standing in some official looking room, asked me if I wanted to live with my mom or dad.

10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Lack of physical affection and/or chemistry in general, as if the marriage was just a buisness agreement or something (much as it was throughout history ironically enough).

Then again my parents are still together. I just know if it weren't for supporting three kids they'd end it or so I suspect.

11. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i knew about 15years before my parents actually did divorce that something was wrong. used to creep downstairs ad id find my dad asleep on the sofa and mum would sleep upstairs. they'd never say a word to each other but instead leave notes around the place with the basic things on them like how to cook dinner or where me and my brother were. you would never ever see them in the same room together either. when they did finally divorce it was such a relief because id been waiting for the day that id be told that. sounds i horrible thing to think i know but it had been going on for so long that i had just got to the point where i wanted them to just so that they could live theirlives rather than like the way i had grown up with them living

12. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

my parents split up when i was 19. I'm now 29. The day it happened my mom was drunk and slapped my dad across the face. From the kitchen I heard him say "I want a divorce". I couldn't have been happier. Up until that moment they lived seperate lives. My mom lived upstairs in a spare bedroom and my dad slept in their bedroom. There was no love. They fought, threatened each other to leave, barely spoke and never uttered the "l" word. We all knew it was inevitable. My mom worked for her, came home did for her, went out with her friends and drank. My dad came home from working took care of us.

so the day it happened was the best day ever.

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

my mother should have listened to me when I was about 13, I said, and so many of her sisters said why don't you get a divorce?

she never did and we were hurt so badly because of that and so many other things

14. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

My mother and father fighting about his girlfriends :tongue: . That or how he would leave for days.

15. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My parents never broke up. However as far as my marriage ending goes, there were tons and tons of signs. I was so deep in the fog or haze of alcoholism that I couldnt understand them. She could have written on the wall in great big neon letters, I AM LEAVING YOU AND FILING FOR DIVORCE, and I wouldnt have got it.

She started by cleaning things out from the basement. She and the kids would dissapear at different times. She even told me once, that is she could afford to, she would leave me.

Sometimes...signs arent easy to read. :sad:

16. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I remember being about 9yrs old,my bed looked out onto the landing at the top of the stairs. I remember seeing my dad stood at the window for hours looking out,then arguments and fights when my mother came in.I didnt know at the time but they were both sleeping around and destroying the last traces of love and respect they had for one another.

17. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I didn't see it coming it was a proper slap in the face, i sometimes wonder if them splitting up is what started the chain reaction of what has now become my suffering.
    I remember my dad coming into my room and telling me as best as he could without trying upset me that he was leaving, i just shrugged it off and said ok (of course i was devistated but i didn't want him to know that). I think i saw them physically fight 3 times in my whole life. If there were signs i didn't see them.