What will happen if I tell my therapist I want to kill myself?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Failure, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Failure

Failure Well-Known Member

*********TRIGGERING**********

I have been planning since around June 2014 of how to do it, and now that I definitely know what I want to do, I don't know if I should tell my therapist. I have what I need, but I just need the guts to do it, I'm not 100% on it yet. My therapist does not know that I have suicidal thoughts, and I do not know when I'm seeing her next. I was just wondering...if I told her, and about my plans, would she send me to a mental hospital, or would she keep it to herself? Would she tell my mother? I know talking to a therapist is confidential unless you tell them to tell someone about what you have said, but what about in this case? I have tried EVERYTHING to get better. And it is just getting worse and worse and my sleeping and eating habits are getting worse and worse, and I am telling people things less and less.
    I guess I am too weak to do it, so I go seeking help. :mad:

2. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

You're not going to get better until you're honest. I don't know your therapist so I don't know what's going to happen but I do know that honesty is the best policy.

3. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

What country do you live in? In the USA, your therapist would likely have you hospitalized.
    If you:
    1. Have a plan
    and
    2. Have a date/time you're planning on doing it

Those are grounds for involuntary hospitalization. They, or a doctor or other mental health certified persons (IE crisis worker) sign some forms and either an ambulance or police officer will take you to a psych hospital. It's not so bad, and sometimes you need it. Average stays are 3-7 days and you usually see a psychiatrist every day. You might as well be up front with your therapist. She's looking out for your best interest - if that means a hospitalization, then so be it.

4. catecholamine

And don't be afraid about her telling your mom. Would you rather your mom find out instead after a suicide attempt? Your mother would want to know and try to help you.

5. catecholamine

I've been hospitalized here in the USA many a time. Don't be afraid of it. It's really not a huge deal - most people you meet in those places are surprisingly normal. You don't have to be that crazy to be in a psychiatric hospital, lol. It's a place where you get intensive treatment - you get to see a doc daily (usually) so you can adjust meds or try new ones, there's group therapy usually as well. It's not Disneyland but it's not something to be afraid of either.

6. Failure

I'm in Australia and am not an adult yet, and I'm not sure if they take in teenagers or not. I'm not sure what legally the therapist is and isn't allowed to do.

7. turryburry

I'm sure your local hospital takes teenagers but, like I said, especially since you're in another country, I don't know what your therapist will do. Please be honest--you'll get the right medication that way.

8. catecholamine

I don't know anything about Australia, hopefully some other members can chime in. But I am sure there are places that take teenagers - positive about that. Just be honest with them. That's how you get help.

9. turryburry

Please do not be afraid of the chatroom. I'm not a normally a friendly person so didn't mean to scare you off if I did.

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm in Ireland and my local psychiatric unit takes in children as well as adults which I think is wrong. Children should not have to see what they do in there. Don't be scared though things are probably a lot different in Australia.

Maybe ask your therapist what she does with people who are suicidal?

I know sometimes it's hard to face up to the cold hard truth but do what you need to do to get past this phase in your life. You will get better if you are honest with your health worker.

11. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am curious why bother going to a therapist if have been suicidal for 7 months or more and never bothered to discuss it? Exactly what are you expecting the therapist to do to help you cope or feel better if you basically lie about all the underlying thoughts and feelings? Getting therapy to help make things better only has any usefulness if they know what they are actually working on.... It is like asking a Dr to treat a sore arm and wondering why when you left his office the broken leg you never mentioned is not improving.

12. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

Not telling or talking to your therapist for 7 months about how you really feel has not helped.
    Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

It sounds like it is time for you to change what you are doing, not telling is not helping.
    Whatever the therapist decides it will have a batter chance of helping you then you have now.

13. Failure

Sorry I usually don't like going into the chatroom because I am worried what I will do wrong or what will happen. I've made up my mind, I think I'll just tell her that I am suicidal and see where it goes from there. Because I am not an adult yet there are barely any mental clinics that are around, but it looks like hospitals want to take in suicidal teenagers and children because they are more impulsive apparently. I'm not sure what she will do, but if she decides to do anything, I'm sure that she'll go through it with me first. Hopefully. Thank you for giving suggestions and trying to help me. :)

14. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

:hug: the best thing you can do for yourself is to be honest with the people trying to help you. Telling your therapist you are suicidal is a good first step - she will ask if you have a plan; please be honest with her - tell her everything and trust her to know what to do to best help you. And I do understand the fear of your parents knowing but believe me when I tell you that they want, and need, to know. You are not alone at all and there is help to be had if you reach for it. I am glad that you have decided to tell your therapist. Good Luck :hug:

15. Petal

Hi hun, the chat room here is very friendly and we will help you along or you can just come in to be a part of it even if you don't feel like chatting.
    Good luck on telling your therapist, I am sure she will help you to the best of her ability. Honesty really is the best policy, and you need to help them sometimes for them to be able to help you. Best of luck hun!! :hug:

16. Failure

I've seen my therapist for less than 4 months I'm pretty sure. She has never asked if I am suicidal just if I am sad depressed, feeling worthless, etc etc. The test that I took had no question on it that asked if I suffer from suicidal thoughts. I have told one person that I am suicidal, and that is all. I made a mistake telling that person, so of course I would be cautious about telling anyone else. I understand that she is my therapist and I should tell her everything, but no. Thank you for your analogy, but I am very sure that you would be able to spot a broken leg, but not so much a suicidal person. It isn't that easy.

17. Failure

Thanks petal and Freya. Hopefully I will have the guts to tell her.

18. Petal

You are very welcome hun and keep us updated on your progress, when you're in great despair, you may surprise yourself at how much strength you have to open up to her :)

19. Failure

I am seeing her this Thursday. I don't want to tell her, but I know that I should. :frown: The urge is getting really, really strong. I don't know if I can hold on much longer. Sorry.

20. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If you can't get the words out, write them down and give them to her.
    At least that way you will have said it and she can work with you from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.