What would they do to me at the hospital?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kairo, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kairo

Kairo Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about trying to go to a doctor to get help. Maybe to evaluate my mental health...and get meds. etc.
    I'm very nervous and paranoid about what they might do to me...
    I have some obvious marks from self-harm, and sometimes I think I don't come off as completely mentally stable.
    I've also taken some illegal drugs a while ago, and if they happen to find some in my system, would they detain me?

I just want to be absolutely sure that they wont force me into anything, or keep tabs on me in any way.
    Maybe these are ridiculous fears, but I'm completely naive when it comes to hospital procedures are for someone like me.

I live in Sweden... and I know most responders are probably going to be Americans. But I suspect the system isn't too different. I have tried to find this information on my own, but it's hard since I don't speak Swedish very well, and I haven't found any good sources in English

Thank you for any responses.
  2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

There may be members from Sweden on here. Certainly one or two from Scandinavia and / or Northern Europe. I can only speak of the system in the UK. Here a general practitioner is not just the entry point into the health system he or she can deal with all of your treatment. Illegal drugs: these could only be detected by a blood test specific to certain drugs. I can think of no reason why the doc would wish to test for these. Let's say highly unlikely. Hospital is also highly unlikely except for a consultation with a psychiatrist. Here unless your behaviour indicated that you were a danger to yourself or others there is no way any form of treatment could be imposed on you without your consent. Hope this helps / reassures you.
    Have you considered trying a Swedish crisis or helpline for information about their system?
  3. loumerc

loumerc Member

If you need to know about hospital procedures ,you can call on help line 116117 and asked them about your fears. I believe when you go to a hospital on voluntary basis, you can leave any time you like. Hope you find the help you need. Goodluck.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hospital doctor will ask you questions about your mental and physical health and then decide if you n eed to stay in hospital for a bit or just order you some medication and ask you to see your gp to follow up hun If you are feeling suicidal then go to emerg ok and get the help and support that is there hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.