what would u change about Sf ...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by 1izombie, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

if u had the power to change SF how would u change it if at all... is there parts of it that u would like to see changed, or improved upon... I have my own ideas but I'm just wondering what others think....

2. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

what are your ideas?

3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

im more curious about what other people think...

4. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

i got that lol

5. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

why not give us your opinions 1eye? I would really like to hear what you have to say.

6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I think it would be nice if we could all post a tiny avatar sized picture next to our signatures. It could be a nice little additional way of expressing ourselves without an ever- changing avatar.

7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I would make the avatars larger and more visible on our profiles

8. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

At the risk of being burned at the stake I think there needs to be some rearrangements of certain staff.

Nothing personal, just a sort of efficiency/neutrality thing.

9. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I reckon it would be good to have some professional grief and suicide counselors, if there isn't already, that would have experience dealing with suicidal people and people who have lost family or friends

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Nothing human will ever be neutral :)

There are or have been several here who have undergone Samaritans training :) In the past when I owned the forum we were approached on several occasions but we felt it better to keep the site strictly peer to peer. There may be counsellors on the site help those in pain but I do not know of any.

11. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Perhaps, but I'm talking more about straight heavy bias.

12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think a lot of the admins and mods need to stop getting in bed and all cliquey with people; it creates bias and clique-type of groupthink bullying behavior. For example, if one person is in a discussion with another person that the admin or mod is friends with or chummy with, then the mod is going to let their little clique-ass buddy get the last word, and then close the thread, bullshittingly citing to the person(s) who disagrees with their buddy, "you stated your opinion and it's becoming too argumentative, so thread closed" or some other nonsense.

That bullshittery needs to change. Mods need to be neutral and not shut down threads just because people within it, having a discussion, are disagreeing. That cliqueish behavior is some bullshit that I've observed here between particular members and particular mods.

That's what I would change.

13. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

honestly, i cant think of anything that i would change.

i think the mod's do a great job. suicide/depression/methods is a serious thing to moderate but i think they have got it just right really.

ive seen other forums way more heavily moderated and a lot of it pointless moderation, here its really relaxed but serious stuff will be taken care of.

the only slightly negative comment i will make is in regards to the 'cliquey' nature. im pretty sure a few mods and users (with higher post counts mainly i think) know each other IRL but even then i still dont think the mods are that biased towards their IRL friends just some of the threads go off in a direction i cant understand (e.g. im guessing they have had a talk face to face or whatever and continued discussion on here)

EDIT:
    i have just thought of a feature but i dont know if i can be implemented or not.
    on other sites, ive seen a 'thanks' button and if you click it, your name is added to a list.
    e.g. on computer help sites somebody may write a tip about something and if you find it useful, you just click the thanks button without needing to write a reply (idk if people with the most 'thanks' get a bonus or something?). IRL it would just sort of be like a nod of the head without speaking i guess.

anyway, im going off on a tangent.
    the point is, on here people comment that they read posts and sympathize with people but dont really know what to say to them. well how about a 'hugs' button if possible? just so the OP would know people are thinking about them without threads filled with no comments except the stupid little hug emot (while although i get the idea of it, i admit i dont personally like it and just think its silly)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  14. Prinnctopher's Belt

Being able to post IMGs in threads would be a woop woop.

15. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

If I had money I hired some who talk with me in here. Some who do not try to say to me how to think. I hired some who understand different picture of world.

16. boo

boo Well-Known Member

defininitely banner or small pic on my sig

17. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i say no way to this, it would clog up the board way too much (sometimes even a few too many smilies is bad enough).
    there is the ability to post links which can go to images, that is enough i think.

18. Prinnctopher's Belt

Smilies? WTF

Those aren't images, they're just emoticons. Fuck a link. I want to be able to post images directly, and they do not clog boards as many many many many forums on the internet do this and the boards are completely unaffected unless it's a thread specifically made for posting pictures of something (ie. "ITT we post pictures of..."). They don't clog anything at all. What do you have, dial-up or something? That's primitive anyway. Get DSL for the same price.

19. Prinnctopher's Belt

20. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I don't think this forum needs it. In my 6 months here I've seen less than 10 pictures posted. I could imagine the only ones that would be posted would be either dark and depressing or cute/mildly amusing, like that one you posted P. It would force people to see pictures they may not want to see (or don't care about). This forum is about text-based posts, and depressed people are likely to post depressing pictures about how they feel. Or I could be wrong, and they are dumb pictures that members find funny but aren't necessarily funny, which would get old fast.

Personally, I don't want to see lolcats and kittens in cups and other banal images.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.